Chapter 6: Entrance Exam

It was exam day, and Damien felt nervous for the first time in his life ever. Even though he knew he specialized in combat, it still was pretty difficult for him to digest that he would live a totally different life so it was quite new for him. He took a shower early in the morning and he made sure that he got to eat a healthy breakfast. He packed up his katana (Japanese longsword) and defense gear as he went to his bathroom and faced himself in front of the mirror as he said, "Don't disappoint me today, Damien". He picked up his gear backpack and walked across the apartment towards the exit door. As he twists the door handle to open the door, he pushes it wide open to find Justin standing right in front of him. He was wearing a blue check shirt with Gallas strapped on his toned body and dark blue dress pants underneath with brown leather knit-styled boat shoes and a cowboy hat on top.

"Wow! you look good kid!", Damien was wearing a white striped black track suite with a turtle neck finish and camouflage grey joggers with white soul and grey laces. "Uncle, your outfit is too much for a babysitter" Damien shrugs as he looks at Justin's flashy outfit. Justin clicks his tongue as he was trying to impress Damien who was known to pick the best outfit for the job. Despite Damien's lack of exposure to the society he had learnt alot from his job at "blending in". Damien looked around his room, blood stains had covered all over the floor despite the thorough cleansing by Justin making it have a deep shade of pink. It reminded him that his life was about to flip over from this point onward. He had confidence in his skills and that he would be able to pass in the entrance exam, but what he was unsure of what would come afterwards.

He exited his apartment without looking back as he is led out of the apartment building by Justin and to a car. It was a purple Rolls Royce Phantom with gloss finish. Damien was suprised by the fact that Justin had such a car despite leading all of his life as a janitor. "Get inside the car and yes this is mine. You take me for nothing knowing I'm a janitor, don't you?" Justin exclaims as he takes notice of the gawking eyes of Damien towards the car. Damien settles inside the luxurious vehicle knowing he had to use public transport his entire life. The car left the parking lot of the apartment complex and left for the high school where Damien was supposed to be admitted.

As the car cruised on the highway under the rising morning sun, Damien looked out the window to view the sunrise as he rested his chin in the palm of his hand setting his elbow on the window sill. He was lost in the thought of all the life he had spent in the Underground and how calm things were moving on, he realised that life was never supposed to be easy and that he had to move on somehow, he had to leave revenge behind, but in some place deep in his heart he still missed the people who had cared for him and loved him, he pictured the damp and mossy atmosphere of the underground where he used to play and have fun around, unaware of the fact that this life was also meant to be temporary and would end soon.

As the sun rises to the top of its arc, the car slows down to turn left towards a sign board that spelled "Wellington's High". Damien slided down the window to look at the huge red brick mansion with a whole crowd of applicants gathered up in it's courtyard. As the car came to a halt, Damien picked up his backpack and stepped out of the car. He noticed numerous eyes taking side glances towards the car, realising the actual motive of his uncle in driving him to the entrance exam. He started to walk towards the gathered crowd when a person stopped him in his tracks and asked for his name and applicant id. Damien entertained the guy before he mingled into the crowd, avoiding any kind of interaction despite his catchy appearance, catching several gawks and stares as he positioned himself in front of a stage that was set up in front of a huge entrance of the mansion gate, looking up close Damien observed the humongous size of the mansion, built on three floors and quadrupling in area. As he tried to take the whole picture in awe along with the several candidates who were also left staring, the amplifiers erupted with a heavy sound as a person appeared upon the stage "Welcome to the 21st entrance exam of Wellington's High, one of the most prestigious schools known to this state. Undoubtedly, the institution that gaurantees to produce the cream of the crop as the futures of this state. This is where all the gaurdians are to leave this courtyard. Your examination will not be conducted on school grounds. Our institute will provide the transport to take you to our training grounds. We would like to request you all to gear up and say farewell to your gaurdian as 100 participating out of you will be meeting them for the last time throughout the semester.

At the moment, the announcer stepped off the stage as the csr parked across the courtyard started to move out followed by long commando camouflage buses lining up in front of the driveway. The candidates started moving towards these buses as the crowd started to get more and more conjusted, pushes and pulls occuring all around to get the first come first serve opportunity. But surprisingly there was not a hint of anyone being left out and all the passengers were left seated in the buses. The buses also had an attendant and was quite luxurious in the inside despite its rough appearance from the outside. Damien climbed up the bus as a girl with crimson red hair moved aside to give Damien a seat beside the window sill. She had hazel eyes with red long hair, a pale complexion and well defined facial features. She was wearing sports shorts with a baggy grey sweatshirt
Damien exclaimed with a sigh, "Don't offer opportunities to strangers, what if they are the ones that trample upon you." The girl replied with a shrug "Youre welcome, and im not that easy to take down, you should worry about your-" The speaker inside the bus interrupts her "It is an 8 hour journey before you reach your destination". Damien let out a large sigh as he whispers under his breath..

The time has come, to decide my fate

The girl with the red hair (Clover):