Chapter 5: School

Damian woke up as the sky cracked with the light of dawn. He changed his nightgown into his black and white striped track suite and left his apartment. He walked along the pavement as he saw the sun rise slowly from the brink of the sky. There was no noise to be heard, no chirping of the birds, no whisper of the wind, just silence surrounding him. He stopped at the place which had burnt ablaze last night, now only left with cinder and smoke.

He hopped down inside the crumbled pit where lay heaps of dead bodies, burnt and untouched. Despite all the years he had come to know the high society, he was still surprised that they could be even more inhumane than he imagined. He knew they wouldn't even try to pay attention to the lives lost last night. He had no choice but to move on from his past life. Everything in his life was new to him now. He needed to start afresh and fight the High Society by himself.

He climbed out of the pit and walked away from where he had lived until now. But everything was going to change from now on. He knew that nothing would remain the same anymore. But he had to keep going, for everyone he was leaving behind. He knew his next step, the first step towards his revenge. It was an operation called "High School Days". Damian took off to the nearest garments store. As he entered the shop he saw an old woman with wrinkles all over her face. She asked politely, "May I help you with something?". "Yes, actually I would like some school uniform." The shopkeeper looked astonished by Damien's statement. "I'm sorry?", the shopkeeper asked again. "Well, the real question is, are there any good schools around here?". The shopkeeper was surprised by the odd question and presumed that the boy wasn't familiar with the city so he must be a foreigner. "Well, there are quite a few, but the most prestigious to be known in our city is the Wellington's High. It's difficult to get admission to it. It's a tough go on an academic basis, and the sports-based examination is a no-go. Okay, never mind you can try other schools in the vicinity I'm sure you would be able to find a decent one."

The word "sports-based" struck Damien as he was renowned for his physical abilities in his neighborhood back in the day he asked the old lady again, "By any chance, does this sports-based examination include combat?". The shopkeeper gave a nod and replied, "Yes, it is famous especially for its sports-based examination. The 12 Crescents of the High Society are the ones themselves who judge the participants of the competition and grant permission to enter the academic system of the school." Damien was surprised by the fact that the 12 Crescents would attend an entrance examination. It was his first chance to encounter them, so he wouldn't let a chance miss.

"Thank you for your information", replied Damien as he left the shop. The sun was up on top and scorching heat was rising from the roads. It was a hot summer day and Damien thought of calling it off as he headed back toward the apartment. He met Justin at the entrance. Justin stopped him and asked, "Where have you been all morning? I've been looking all over for you. Breakfast is ready n delivered to your room. I also-". Damian cut in between as he spoke, "Let's drop that for later, I need to get into a school called Wellington's High. I think I can get through the admission process as well, it will be quite easy to fit in, all I need is a fake identity to get in."

Justin gave off a grin and replied, "WOW!, you are so slow Damien, you were already registered in that school, I had everything prepared and settled with Selvon about your future, don't worry about such trivial things and focus more on your preparation for your exam. It's in five days, trust me you don't wanna fail this one."

Damien gave off a sharp glare from his red eyes and spoke,

"Did you just think I could FAIL?"

...