The Call

Dan's POV

Dan woke up to the phone buzzing in his ear. He checked the caller ID, which read Lincoln Jackson. His heart started racing. He wasn't ready. He thought he'd have more time. Why hadn't they told him it would happen this soon?

Dan had been warned that this call would come. Well, it wasn't really a warning, but a pat on the back paired with his father welcoming him to the "family business" and telling him that the family's employer would contact him soon.

Dan slowly answered the call, knowing he had to. He took a deep breath. He would be okay. Right?

"Hello," he said slowly, trying to sound awake. His family had told him he needed to sound not just ready, but excited to answer any calls from Mr. Jackson. He was their employer, and if they failed to show that they deserved their jobs, they would most definitely be punished. They knew it would happen, too. It had happened to Dan's aunt, only a few years ago, because she didn't hear Mr. Jackson calling and so she didn't answer the phone.

"This is a message from Lincoln Jackson, meant for the ears of Daniel Howell. Is this who I am speaking to?" A clear voice asked. This clearly wasn't Mr. Jackson. He must have people call for him, to avoid getting caught. Dan wondered if they were forced into this, like he was.

Maybe they chose to work for Mr. Jackson instead of being killed. Maybe they tell their families they work at some lame office, when in reality they were making phone calls for a man who payed people to murder his enemies so that they could have more time with the people they loved.

Dan could relate to that. If it wasn't for his younger brother, he would allow himself to be killed. The rest of his family didn't care about him, and being killed would keep him from being forced to kill.

"Yes, this is," Dan said quickly.

"Your first victim is to be Philip Lester. He is a meteorologist in London. Information has been emailed to you, and the job must be completed by one week from now. Mr. Jackson thanks you for your service in advance," The person on the other end hung up.

Dan wasn't expecting it to go like that. He figured it would go longer, while Mr. Jackson explained how he wanted the person killed, and how the body was to be disposed of. But, then again, Mr. Jackson had been doing this for years now, he knew what to do to avoid getting caught, and not directly talking to his hit men was probably part of that.

Dan sighed, and shuffled over to his computer. It was time to become a real Howell, and kill Phil.

After all, there was no other choice.