Dylan and the Diner

Forgot to add this earlier, sorry! TW: Food mention

Dan's POV

Phil's ex came to drop off the kid around five. The ex, who's name I learned was Heather, looked pretty upset. She looked like she'd been crying for a while.

The child, who looked rather small, was asleep in her arms. Phil took the kid and his stuff, and told the mother goodbye.

I have to admit, I was liking Phil even more every second I was with him. The was he speaks, the way he walks, the way he cares about everyone. He was irresistible. Why would anyone ever want to kill such a good person?

"So, Dan, this is Dylan," Phil said, turning to face me. The boy moved around in his arms.

I smiled. "Is he yours?" I ask.

Phil frowns. "No, not really. His father left when Heather was pregnant, and ended up in prison."

"Oh," I say quietly. I felt bad for asking.

"Mama?" I hear a soft voice ask.

"Nope. You're with Phil today, buddy," Phil says. Phil walks over to the couch and sits next to me, keeping Dylan in his lap.

"This is my friend Dan. He's going to stay with us today," Phil says, pointing to me. "Can you say hi to Dan?"

Dylan hides his head in Phil's shoulder, which makes us both chuckle.

"So, what do you want to do today, Dylan?" Phil asked.

"Park!" Dylan burst out, throwing his hands in the air, hitting Phil as a result. I laughed, and Phil did too after a minute.

"What else? We're having a sleepover!" Phil said to the toddler.

Dylan started squirming in Phil's lap. "Down! Down!" he whined. Phil set him on the floor, and Dylan took off running.

Phil sighed, and looked to me. "Did you close your door when you woke up this morning? I don't want him to get into your stuff."

"I'll go check now," I said, standing up quickly. I had weapons and poison, and I didn't want Dylan getting into those.

Luckily, my door was closed, and Dylan had was playing in Phil's room. "He's in your room, do you want me to grab him?" I yelled down the hallway.

"Yes, please. Close my door on the way out," Phil yelled back

I walked into Phil's room. I noticed that his duvet was the same as the one in the guest bedroom, but blue and green. I walked over to Dylan and kneeled down so I was closer to his height.

"Hey buddy, you need to come with me now, okay?" I said quietly, extending my arms towards him. He reluctantly allowed me to pick him up. I walked out of Phil's room, closing the door behind me.

I walked back to the lounge, where Phil was placing Dylan's bags.

"Did mommy give you breakfast this morning?" Phil asked. At first I thought he was talking to me, but I quickly realized his question was directed towards Dylan.

"Nope!" Dylan said cheerfully.

"I figured," Phil mumbled. "Do you want to go to the diner?"

"YES!" Dylan screeched.

"There's a diner a few minutes away that Heather and I would go to," Phil explained.

"Yay!" Dylan yelled.

"Okie dokie. Dan, could you get him dressed? I need to shower before we leave. His clothes are in his bag," Phil said, walking towards his room before I could respond.