The Start of a New Adventure (Part 2)

TW: Death mentions

Dan's POV

We left Heather's apartment and head towards the nearest store. It takes us about twenty minutes to get there, but unfortunately it will only be the beginning of the long journey ahead.

When we get there, I go to get a burner phone while Phil goes to the ATM. A few minutes later, I'm waiting for Phil by the doors.

I'm just beginning to wonder what's taking Phil so long, when he comes back with a bag in his hand.

"I got more food," he explains after seeing my curious expression. He shoves the bag into his backpack.

"Ready?" I ask Phil, once he closes the backpack. I wonder if he can tell how nervous I am.

"As  ready as I'll ever be," he says, with a smile I can tell is fake.

"So, I don't know this area that well. Where should we go?" I ask Phil, as we start walking towards the police station. I had wrote the number to the burner phone down and put it in the box.

"We could try to head towards my parents," Phil suggested. I shake my head.

"That'll be too risky," I say. I've learned how these people work. Phil's parents wouldn't be at risk unless we dragged them into this somehow. I highly doubt Phil would want to do that, and I want as few people as possible to get involved.

We walk up to the police station, after walking for a few more minutes. Phil decides to wait outside with Dylan while I turn the box in.

There's a ton of people, spread throughout the room. I get in the line of people waiting to talk to the lady at the counter. I stand there, slowly moving forward, until I'm at the front of the line.

"How can I help you?" the lady croaks. She sounds she's been smoking for longer than I've been alive.

"Um, I figured the police would be interested in the, um, contents of this box," I tell her.

She looks at me suspiciously.

"Oh, um, there's no explosives or anything like that. Well, there's a gun, and some other stuff that could potentially be dangerous, but-" the lady cuts me off before I could finish.

"Listen, I'll turn it into them and they can decide whether or not they should worry. Next!"

I walk away from the counter and back outside, to where Phil is standing. I was surprised that the lady didn't try to ask me any questions, but I guess it's probably something she sees everyday.

"We're good to go," I say, attempting a smile. I grab the wagon handle and start walking.

"So, I was thinking, we could take a train somewhere, or a bus, try and go out into the country," Phil says, as we continue to walk to nowhere in particular.

"Okay, that could work," I say. "Let's take the bus, it would be harder to trace."

We start walking towards the nearest bus, when I  hear Dylan starting to fuss. "Phil?" he whines.

"What's wrong, Dylan?" Phil asks him.

"When are we going to be there?" he asks.

"I'm not sure. We're still figuring that out," Phil responded.

"Will mommy be there?"

I notice Phil stopping. He crouches down next to the stroller, so he's eye level with Dylan. "Your mommy was in a very bad accident earlier. She hit another car, and she got hurt so badly that she died. Do you know what that means?" Phil says softly.

Dylan shakes his head. He looks confused.

"That means that you won't get to see her anymore. She's gone," Phil whispers. Tears are welling up in his eyes.

"When will she come back?" Dylan asks.

"She-she's not coming back," Phil sniffles, wiping tears away from his eyes. "You're  going to stay with me now."

Dylan is silent for  a moment, but then he begins to cry.

"I-I-I'm going to miss her!" he wails. Phil picks him up and hugs him.

"I know, buddy. But it'll be okay, I promise," he says gently. He sets Dylan on his hip, and begins pushing the stroller with his other hand. I hurry to catch up with him.

--------

Before we know it, we're in a very small, rural town. It only took us about an hour to get here, and Dylan had fallen asleep on the bus, after crying for a good fifteen minutes. We decide to find somewhere to set up the tent, seeing how it was getting to be rather late.

We find a small forest, which would probably be our safest option. We don't want someone to find us in an empty field, it would be too suspicious. Phil stops for a moment to pull a flashlight out of his backpack. He turns it on, and begins to lead the way.

Eventually, we find an area clear enough to set up camp. I try to help Phil set up the tent, but I'm pretty sure I'm just getting in the way. I don't have much experience with these kinds of things. My parents were never home to take us camping.

It takes a while, but eventually the dark green tent is set up. Phil sets Dylan's sleeping bag and pillow up, and then places the sleeping toddler in it. I'm about to get my own things ready for bed, but I'm interrupted by Phil.

"I think we need to talk, Dan," he says. I turn around to see him sitting on a fallen tree. I walk over to him, and sit on the ground, so I can face him.

"Look, I know this must be really hard for you too, but I just really need to wrap my head around what's happened today," he begins. I nod slowly, not knowing how to respond.

"Okay, so, you were forced to become a hit man, and I was supposed to be your first kill, but you decided not to kill me because..." he pauses. After a moment of awkward silence, I realize he wants me to respond.

I can feel my heart pounding in my chest. "Because I really like you," I stuttered, looking down.

"Which is why we... kissed earlier. We really like each other," he says. It no longer sounds like he's talking to me, it's more like he just needs to hear it for himself.

"Yeah," I agreed.

Next thing I know, Phil is crying. "Phil, what's wrong?" I ask nervously.

He starts laughing, which is pretty strange when it's accompanied by crying. "What's wrong? What's wrong? The girl I thought I was in love with is dead, you randomly entered my life, I'm Dylan's legal guardian, you were supposed to kill me, and now here we are. It's been a very stressful couple of days, Dan."

"Yeah, I guess it has been," I chuckle. I can't imagine being in Phil's shoes. I move so I'm sitting on the log with him. I wrap my arms around them, and he moves his head so he's crying into my shoulder.

"It'll be okay,"  I say softly.

"Should we go to bed?" Phil asks once he stops crying.

"That would probably be a good idea," I say. I stand up to grab a sleeping bag.

"Dan," I hear Phil say. I look over to him.

"I really like you," he smiles.

"I really like you too," I smile back. I grab my stuff and set it up in the tent. I crawl into my sleeping bag, not bothering to change into one of the pairs of pajamas that Phil brought. I'm too tired, it's been a very long day.

I'm almost asleep when I hear a whisper.

"Goodnight, Dan." I recognize it as Phil's voice.

"Goodnight, Phil," I whisper back. I fall asleep with a smile on my face. This trip may not be ideal, but at least I'll have Phil.

A/N: Once again, thank you all for reading! Sorry that the romance stuff is kind of awful, I'm hoping to get better with it. Also, as always, I'm sorry if anything seems to be inaccurate, I can never seem to find good information on the things I'm writing about. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this part!