The Plan

DAN'S POV

He opened the email, afraid to see what was inside. He never wanted to be part of the buisness, but he had no choice. It was kill or be killed, in the Howell family. He honestly would rather be killed, but he had to stay alive for his brother. He didn't want to leave the younger child before he was forced to join the murderous clan.

It wasn't his choice, it wasn't his younger brother's choice. When his younger brother turned 23, he too would be welcomed into the family buisness, and sent on his first kill, just like every other family member before them. Their spouse would be forced to kill too, just like the boys mother had been. But, she'd been at it for so long now, she was unaffected by the number of lives she had brought to an end.

When Dan was little, he didn't question his family's source of income. His parents said they were unemployed, but Dan and his brother always got everything they wanted, and the famiky was somewhat wealthy. From a young age, Dan knew there had to be a bigger picture.

When Dan was 18, his parents finally told him the truth.

The day had been going nicely before his parents told him. He had some friends over to celebrate his birthday. Everyone had gathered in the family's dining room, where Dan's mother was lighting the candles on the cake she had made.

Dan blew out the candles happily, and grabbed his slice of the cake. He stepped to the side, waiting for his friends to claim their pieces before they all headed back out to the pool. When everyone was exiting the room, Dan's parents had told him to stay back for a few mnutes, because there was something they needed to tell him.

"Your mother and I haven't been completley truthful about our careers," his father had began.

"I've known this for quite a while now, dad. I'm not an idiot," Dan replied. Had his parents not noticed his eye rolls whenever they announced that they were going to "visit friends" or when they had booked a "spontaneous holiday"?

"We are hired to kill people, by a powerful man who goes by Lincoln Jackson," his father said calmly. You would think it was small talk, not admitting to being a serial killer.

Of course, this possibility had crossed Dan's mind once or twice, but he'd never expected in to be the actual explanation. After all, he was a normal kid from a seemingly normal family, and normal families don't kill people for a living.

Dan felt his ears burning. How could his family be involved in something so sinister?

"Daniel, we understand that this is difficult to process, but we aren't telling you this without good reasoning," his mother said, placing her hand over his. Dan couldn't help but wonder how many people that hand had murdered. How many lives had his gentle, loving mother ended?

"Son, when you turn 23, you will be joining us in serving Mr. Jackson," his father had proudly smiled. It was a smile that you would expect see when a father was congragulating his son on being accepted into law school, not when telling him he was to become a murderer.

After that, his parents explained that if he was to decline Mr. Jackson's "kind" job offer, they would be forced to add him to the list of people whose lives had ended because of them.

Thinking back, Dan had never actually said he would do it. He had just said that he understood, and went back outside before his friends realized he was missing.

Dan snapped back into reality as he opened the email. He read all of the information on Phillip Lester, and began to develop a plan.

He would meet Phil at work, claiming he was supposed to be shadowing him. Then, he'd follow him home, and execute him later that night. It couldn't be that hard, right?

Dan logged off, and began to pack his things. He threw a couple changes of clothes in the bag, in case his plan took longer than expected. He then finished off his packing by adding a gun, a knife, and a syringe to the bag. He wasn't sure which weapon he would end up using, so he figured it would be safest to pack all of them.

Finally, he headed to the train station. It was time to become a Howell.