Chapter Seventeen - Zay

The line trills, then goes to voicemail

I call again and it does the same.

Third time's a charm, no?

After two rings, Adam answers.

His groggy voice hits my ear. "Yeah?"

"Adam, it's me."

He clears his throat, there's shuffling sounds, and a door closes. "You okay?"

I scoff, sitting at the end of Riggs's bed. "What do you think?"

I pinch the bridge of my nose and start sobbing quietly.

I may not act it, but I'm scared.

I'm petrified.

This is not my doing. I shouldn't be part of this.

Adam sighs. "Hey, babe. It's okay," he says soothingly. "I'm doing what I can to make sure nothing happens, okay?"

I sniff, shaking my head even though he can't see me. "It's too late for that, Adam. Isn't it?"

The bed shifts and Riggs places his hand on my shoulder, squeezing slightly. He doesn't have to soothe me, but he is. He's not like the rest of his motorcycle club, he's so different than they are.

Little things like this prove it.

"Did you talk with my parents? They'll get you the money. If they want more, give them whatever. Just, please, Adam. They're going to kill me," I say through my weeping.

"FaceTime, now." He raises his voice, turning our phone call into a FaceTime. I answer, only because I have to see his face. It's the only thing that will calm me. his face is distorted, voice breaking up. But it's Adam. Gosh, I missed him so much. "Hey, look at me, Zay." More distortion, more breaking up. "Have I ever let anything happen to you since the moment we met?"

I shake my head, wiping my tears as he turns the light on in the washroom. Our faces freeze, then come back and freeze again. Those blonde locks of his are slicked back, gel soaked into his hair, and his bright blue eyes stare at me so intensely, more tears well in my eyes. I don't care how shit our connection is, it's so good to see his face.

"I'm sorry they involved you in this. If I could switch places with you, babe, I would. But I'm going to get you out of there, okay?"

I turn away from the camera, blinking back more tears because I don't believe a word coming out of his mouth. We were great, so great, until he ended things like what we had meant nothing. There wasn't an explanation, there wasn't a reason. I think we should see other people.

Is it because he knows I'm not good enough?

Will I ever be good enough?

"Look at me."