Chapter Twenty-Nine - Zay

I'm limping to a room at the back of the bar.

It's quiet back here.

Secluded.

Anything can happen.

Peter closes the door behind him and he leans on it as I limp to the couch beside the bed.

Staring at me.

He always stares at me.

He jerks his head at my leg and lets out a breath. "You all right?"

"Never better."

He nods, licking his lips. "We all have to pay for our sins one way or another."

I meet his gaze and stand, limping toward him. "I think I've paid enough, don't you think?"

He laughs, spinning us around and shoving my back against the door. Forearm at my throat, his other hand gripping my hip. "You tried to kill me, Zay. You haven't paid enough. Not until you feel what it's like to have a fucking pen jabbed into your jugular."

A thick tear leaves my eye, rolling down my cheek until it meets his sweater at my throat.

There's nothing I can do or say anymore that will get me out of this.

My fate is sealed.

"When you kill me, all I ask is that you make it quick." I'm crying again and his face softens. Taking in the fear leaking out of me. "Just please make it quick."

He releases me and leans his forehead on my shoulder, breathing softly. "I understand why you did it, Zay. Lillian meant a lot to me, too."

"Then why did you kill her?" I whisper.

He lifts his head to look at me. "My daddy runs this club; Lillian got him put in the slammer. He and six of our guys are in prison because of her. As next in line for president, Crew took the reins and gave me my first order as a member. Kill or suffer the consequences. So I killed it and made it look like a suicide." His lip curls slightly. "Much like you tried to do to me, right?"

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

He grunts, tracing my jawline and tilting my chin up to face him. "Lemme tell you a little story, yeah?"

His lips feather my cheek before he presses a kiss to it and sighs. His breath tickles my shoulder. "Two years ago I met a girl at a party. Pretty little thing that captivated me. Her name literally means beauty and she refused to be mine." His teeth rake my shoulder before he continues. "Fast forward two weeks, I thought I lost her. Thought I'd never see her again. Her best friend happens to be the woman I ask out on a date. I'm back in her life, the only problem is, she wants nothing to do with me because she adores the blonde I'm dating. She's a good time, the blonde. A virgin. But she's not her."

I'm trying my hardest not to cry or show any emotion toward his speech. But anytime someone speaks about Lillian, I choke up. Much like I'm doing now.

He sucks in a rush of air, brushing my tears away. "Months pass, maybe two or three, and that blonde starts coming around my secret club, flirting with the guys, then starts fucking my brother. I didn't know she had it in her. The blonde starts acting like her friend, making her that much more appealing. But still, she's not her...things seem to be ending, I said my goodbyes to the blonde who cheated on me, and all the while I slept around on her. We were two hopeless romantics in love with other people. But the blonde stuck her nose in something she shouldn't have. She saw something she shouldn't have. And you know what happens to people who see things they're not supposed to see? Hmm?" He kisses my cheek, licking the tear from it. "You know what happens to those who rat on us because of what they see?"