Chapter Thirty-One - Zay

Shit

Shit.

Fuck.

Shit.

Fuck.

Shit.

Repeat.

We approach the barn and I'm already shaking. This is my ending and I never thought I'd go out like this. I envisioned a life for myself.

A happy life with someone to love me.

Adam. I envisioned my life with him. The two of us. Maybe a couple of kids. We'd grow old together. Live in a condo by the water. Just the two of us. My end would come when I'm old and gray. Not now. Not while I'm still so young.

I whimper, keeping my head down as we approach the barn doors and Lip swings them open.

Adam is there with Banks, two duffel bags at his feet. He looks like he's been crying.

"Zay!" he calls, trying to get to me but Crew takes hold of my arm.

"You got the money?" Crew asks, squeezing my arm so tightly I feel my pulse beat against his grip.

Adam tosses the duffle bags forward, pointing at them. "Added a little extra. And if you want more, I can get you more. Just let her go."

Crew snorts, letting out a chuckle and turning to his men behind him. "More, huh?"

Adam nods, staring at me. And I can't help it. I'm crying again, wincing from the hold Crew has on my arm and crying. I'm done with all of this. "Whatever you want, I can get. Just, please." Adam furrows his brow. "Let her go."

With a sigh, Crew tosses me on the ground, missing the bags by inches. I don't look back, I scramble to my feet as Adam lifts me, squeezing me tightly and kissing my face.

"Are you okay? Oh, babe, I'm sorry," he whispers.

I grip his shirt, sobbing into it. I have no words. Nothing to say that can assure him I'm fine.

Because I'm not.

I won't be fine until I know this isn't the end of the road for me.

He winces when I wrap my arms around his waist. "You okay?" I whisper.

"When they took you they kicked me a bunch." He burrows his face in my hair. "I'm okay." He breathes me in. "I'm okay."

Crew looks at his men and smirks.

Riggs and Peter glance at each other, then at the men who start circling around us.

Guns are pulled from the holsters. The back of their jeans. Their ankles.

I knew this was too good to be true.

Adam moves me behind him, frowning at Crew and Peter. "You said you'd let us go!"