Chapter 2

Delilah was humming to herself as she came down the stairs. When she reached the bottom the hair on the back of her neck stood up. She froze. Her eyes searched the open living space. Nothing was out of place.

"Relax. You're being paranoid." She told herself. "New house. It's gonna take time to get use to it." She shook the uneasy feeling off and went into the kitchen to make coffee. The dripping of the machine soothed her. She pulled a cup from the cabinet and was pouring a cup of coffee when the doorbell chimed.

She furrowed her eyebrows."who in the world?"

Cautiously she peeked through the side window before flipping the locks. "Delivery for Lila Bryan." The guy was holding an enormous bouquet of white lilies.

"Thank you." She signed for them and took the flowers. There was a card poking out of the top. She set the case on the counter and opened the card. "For your new house. Just something to make you smile. Love, your other brother Mike and the band."

She grinned. Michael Carter always knew how to make her smile. He was her brothers oldest friend and she did consider him her other brother. She pulled her phone from her pocket and typed out a quick text. "Thanks for the flowers. They are gorgeous."

Delilah finished her coffee and went upstairs to change for the day.

Luke was standing at the mixing board when Mikes phone went off. "Lila? She got them didn't she?"

The brown haired guitarist smiled."yea. She said thanks."

"Thanks for doin that, Mike. She needs to know that people are here for her."
"Of course. You know we all have her back. No one will ever..."
"I know." Luke glanced at his watch. "I better go. I'm meeting her for brunch. She and Caroline are finishing the nursery."

Delilah kissed Caroline's cheek as she sat down at the table."How are you feelin?"
"Good for the most part. Tired. Ready for him to be here." The blonde was glowing as she rubbed a loving hand over her belly.

"Me too. Where's Luke?"
"On his way. He's comin from the studio."
"Ok. So I was thinkin that we could do some maternity shots of you and hang a couple in the nursery."
"I love that idea." Caroline sipped her orange juice."How was your first night in the house?"
"Great. The new bed is amazing! I slept like a dream..."
"But?" Caroline knew there was something else.
"This mornin when I went downstairs... Something felt off... I looked around and nothin was moved or out of place...it's probably nothin. Just my mind playing tricks on me.."

Caroline reached and squeezed her hand. "go with your gut...maybe you should get an alarm..."
"I'm bein silly, Car. He's in jail. He can't hurt me anymore. I'm safe."
"Still... Maybe it's the mother in me... Just humor me and get the alarm."

"Who needs an alarm?" Luke asked as he sat down.
"No one... Me." Delilah dropped her head.
"Was someone in the house?" Luke went on high alert.
"No. Just a feelin."
"If you think you need an alarm then I'll have one installed this week." He said taking a sip of his tea.

"Luke..." She started to protest.
"Stop." He gave her a look."Just let me do this."
"Fine." She sighed.
"Listen I know you didn't want to come out with me but I really need a photographer for the next few shows... How about you help your big brother out?" He gave her the puppy dog eyes.

"Does that ever work?" She laughed.
"Caroline is pregnant isn't she?" He responded with a wicked grin causing his wife to slap his arm.
"Ewww... Didn't need that visual." Delilah shuddered.

"Hey sorry I'm late." A voice behind her spoke in a soft southern drawl.

She turned to see Luke's merch guy standing behind her. A slow grin covered her face. "Cole!" She squealed shooting up from her chair.

She nearly knocked him over as she threw herself into his arms.

He caught her one handed as he struggled to regain his balance. "Nice to see you too, Lila Bear." He laughed.

"You wanna let go of him so he can sit?"Luke asked.

Delilah released him and fell back into her chair as Cole sat down beside her. "When did you get back?" She fired off the question. "You haven't seen the house. You have to come by..."
"Late last night. And I will for sure." Cole grinned. He snagged a piece of her bacon.

Luke watched the interaction between the two of them. Cole seem to absorb everything Lila was telling him. He never took his eyes off her.

"So when do you want me out there?"
"Huh?"Luke snapped back to the conversation.
"The tour? When do you want me to come out?" Delilah looked at her brother curiously. "Were you not listening?"
"No I guess I zoned out for a second. Uh how about new week? It's a four day run."
"Sure. I just need to get a couple new memory cards and we should be good."
"What changed your mind?"
"Cole." She smiled. "He said its a lot of fun besides I can hang out with him..."
"Well I see I've been replaced as your favorite..." Luke teased.

They finished the meal with laughter and stories about tour life.

When they got to the parking lot Delilah turned to Cole. "So see you about 7?"

"Yup. I'll see you then." He hugged her tight.

Luke flung his arm around his merch guy."see her for what?"
"Don't go big brother,Luke. She asked me to come see the house. She's cooking. So I said sure."
"You make her laugh. It's good for her. She needs a friend like you."