A Wealthy Heart

Chapter 70

January 15

Psalm 49:5

Why should I fear when evil days come, when wicked deceivers surround me--those who trust in their wealth and boast of their great riches?

____________________________
Preface

Does the tree count its wealth in the number of leaves on its branches? Does it take credit for their growth? Or is it grateful to the sun and soil, and to the Source of these? The tree provides a home to birds, fruit to animals and people, shade to those who sit beneath its canopy, all without asking for anything in return.

The sun gives of its light freely from within itself, needing nothing from us to do so.

The earth provides us with everything, but what do we give it in return?

Fear looks out at the world and sees only what's missing. It wants without giving. It takes without earning. It believes in giving nothing, even when wealthy.

Fear asks only what others can do for it.

Faith sees that blessings abound, all that God's giving us in and through life; all of life's sustaining gifts and opportunities enlivening being alive. Faith recognizes that we come ready equipped with everything we need within us to create opportunities to give back to the world abundantly.

Faith asks only what can I do for others.

____________________________

Today's verse is provided by the descendants of Korah, the temple musicians and assistants established by King David. In their Psalm they give a message for everyone in the world; categorically, to both rich and poor alike (49:1-2). Their objective is to provide us with the meditation of their heart toward the goal of us gaining understanding. (49:3)

The understanding of the difference between having a little or a lot of material wealth and having faith in the big picture of life is the only thing that differentiates us humans from the animals.

"People who have wealth but lack understanding are like the beasts that perish" (49:20).

At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you."

Solomon answered... "give your servant a discerning [understanding] heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong."

The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. So God said to him, "Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for--both wealth and honor--so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings" (1 Kings 3:5-13).

Solomon asked for understanding. Why? Because, first, he was grateful to God for all the kindness shown to Solomon's father, David. And Solomon was grateful for God's kindness to him. (3:6)

Second, being a young and inexperienced king, Solomon wanted to know how to carry out his duties. (3:7) He wanted to do the best job possible for God and the people.

So Solomon revealed that he had a heart of gratitude and responsibility. He understood that these were far more valuable than any amount of material wealth, revenge, or added days to the length of his life.