Chapter 53 A Father's Love

'Good morning sleepy head.'

You heard the sound of the curtains being drawn and bright light flooded your room almost immediately, making you growl in annoyance and pull the covers over your head, hiding in their sweet darkness, only wanting to keep your dream running for a little bit longer. It was past midnight last night when you were finally able to fall asleep, taking the last pill Jack had given you, which immediately eased the excruciating pain that still lingered on your belly. You didn't even need Helen to check it in order to discover the huge blue and purple bruise that had spread on your (s/c) belly, since you kind of knew that it was only normal to have one after such a strong kick. Needless to say that he wasn't at all happy to see that, his eyes immediately darkening and his lips pressing into a thin line as he carefully pressed his fingers against the bruise, making sure that there wasn't any internal bleeding or any other threat for your health.

'Wake up, it's almost eleven.' You hear Helen's voice again and the mattress sinks on the right side of the bed.

Your eyes flash open and you eject yourself to sit up straight, something that was a terrible move from your part, as the light blinds you even more and a sharp pain shots up to you from your belly, making your hands fly and wrap around it, as if your intestines were going to spill out at any given second.

'Ughhh, it's eleven?! I'm late for school....ughhh.' you mumble tiredly, trying not to make any other sudden moves that would trigger your wound and blinking again and again, trying to restore your vision and push away the remaining sleepiness, only to feel two hands gently grab you by the shoulders and push you back at the soft pillows.

'No school for today _____. You should rest and I don't want you anywhere near those bullies again.' Helen gives you a small and controlled smirk as you manage to focus your eyes on him.

'That's not an excuse to skip school.' You say, a small smile dancing on the edges of your lips at the sight of your brother.

'Says who exactly? I'll tell you what. How about the two of us go on a picnic today? You could really use some fresh air.'He suggests, his dark blue orbs falling on your (e/c) own, gentleness and love flooding the dark blue and making you smile. It was a rare occurrence to see him in high spirits and counting the fact that he had just given you the okay to skip school for today, you just couldn't say no to that adorable face. Don't get you wrong, you didn't really like skipping school mainly because the assignments would double afterwards, but just for this once, you allowed yourself the luxury of doing something together with Helen.

After picking you up yesterday, you didn't have the chance to go anywhere due to your excruciating pain, so Helen canceled every reservation he had done and called his employer to take the day off, in order to take care of you undistracted. You were really sad to ruin the plans you both had arranged, but no matter how many times you tried to apologize to him, he just kept pushing you back to bed and changing the warm bandages that he had wrapped your stomach in, in a desperate attempt to ease the pain somehow. The only time he did leave you alone, was to go to the local pharmacy and buy you the very same pills that Jack had given you.

Jack and Jeff.

You really had no clue and no possible idea as to why they had helped you out in the first place, especially considering the fact that you had just met both of them and you guys weren't what you would call 'close' enough for them to act that way towards you. You were happy that they did help you out though, but the curious thoughts were flooding your brain more and more as you thought about it. Why two strangers helped you out with your bullies, when they didn't even have the obligation to do so? It was unreasonable of them to get in the middle, due to the fact that they might be targeted next, despite that they had pretty much beaten them all hard. Still, the fact that they might just be good people and want to help out still was on the table, but you highly doubted that this was the case solely. Come on now, you had seen the way Jeff/Jack was looking at you and it's embarrassing for you to admit that every time you looked at him as well, a bright shade of red flashed on your cheeks and your heart started pounding hard against your chest, like it was about to pop out at any given second. The way this guy was looking at you, almost as if he was drowning inside your eyes, as if he just couldn't get enough of looking deep down to your very soul took your breath away, but also scared you by thinking he was just a stranger to you.