A Visit

Grian woke up at about 6 in the morning, and felt about as well as one could feel knowing they were going to die soon.

Because if this conversation with Mumbo didn't kill him, the disease sure would.

Grian got up from his bed and began walking to his bathroom, to clean himself up and get ready for Mumbo's arrival.

When he got there, however, he felt himself get very lightheaded.

Grian slumped down and leaned himself against the bathtub. He began coughing violently, and Grian noticed that it felt more painful than last night.
He coughed up four more petals but couldn't be bothered to throw them away, so Grian just swept them under the bathroom rug.

This latest fit left Grian exhausted. Still trembling, he tried to gather enough strength to stand, but failed. But he managed to after a second attempt.

Grian's head began spinning as soon as he stood up. He began making his way to the kitchen, but felt his strength fading fast.

He paused and gripped the kitchen counter for support. At this point, he could barely stand.

Grian reached for a glass, but his hands were shaking so badly that he could barely grip it.

He sighed and put the glass down, deciding that a glass of water wasn't that important.

Grian sighed, triggering another painful fit of coughing. Blood-sprayed petals fell into the sink, each one bringing a spike of pain with it.

At this point it felt more like Grian was coughing up thorns instead of rose petals.

Grian flipped on the garbage disposal, hoping it would erase any remaining petals from last night or this morning.
He really didn't want to explain to Mumbo why there were bloody flower petals everywhere.

Grian grabbed a broom and began sweeping up any remaining petals on the ground. The tremors that shook him were smaller right now, and Grian took that opportunity to finally grab a glass of water and relieve the itching in his throat.

He filled a glass with water and drank greedily, as though he hadn't had water in years. His third glass of water was interrupted by a knock at his door.

"Well," Grian said to himself, "Let's get this over with. Just tell him you're feeling better and thank him for checking."

Grian grabbed a red hoodie from the sofa and pulled it over his gray t-shirt.
"Coming!" he called out towards the door. Grian walked over to the front door and opened it.

There stood Mumbo Jumbo wearing a worried expression on his face.

"Hey Grian, how are you?"

Grian bit back a laugh, knowing that the truth was that he was not even remotely okay. Regardless he put on his best smile and replied, "I'm doing better. It was nice of you to stop by but you really don't have to st-"

"Grian, just shut up already."

Grian stopped, and looked up at Mumbo confused. "What?"

Mumbo looked down at him and responded, "I said it's really no trouble at all. I want to make sure you're really alright."

Grian looked at the ground, wondering if he had really just misheard him.

Weird.

"Well, if you insist on it."

Mumbo looked at him with a serious expression. "I insist on it."

Grian sighed and let him in, only to feel another coughing fit build up inside him. Seeing the discomfort on Grian's face, Mumbo looked at him with concern. "Is everything okay?"