A Hug

Summary of last chapter:
Basically Grian was having a heavy derealization/hallucination episode because of his illness.

Also, this chapter is going to begin by exploring Mumbo's POV during Grian's "Episode."

Alrighty, let's continue

...

"Mumbo I'm dying."

Mumbo looked at him, confused.

"What?"

Grian looked up at him and began, "Basically I have this disease where there are flowers growing in my lungs because you guys hate me and it's going to kill me and there isn't really a cure for it because no one believes that it's a real thing and I'm going to die."

"..."

Mumbo sat stunned, unable to believe what his best friend was saying. A twisted part of him hoped this was a weird prank. But judging by the fear on the smaller's face, Mumbo knew that this was no joke.

After a small pause, Mumbo said the only thing that came to mind. "Oh God..."

He watched as Grian looked at him quickly, looking... confused?

"What?" Grian asked.

Mumbo blinked at him and said, "I said 'Oh God.' Are you serious?"

Mumbo watched as Grian began to fidget with the folds of his blanket. He was clearly nervous about sharing the cause of his illness.

"Well, it's just," Grian began after a beat, "I heard everything you guys were saying and- I know you guys are tired of me. And I guess I thought you guys cared about me as much as I cared about you."

Mumbo sat there in disbelief. Grian really thought that they were tired of him? That they didn't care?

"Grian why wouldn't we care about you?"

Grian looked almost shocked. And, surprisingly hurt-?

"what?" he said, in a small, timid voice.

"Grian," he said. "Of course we care about you. Why would we not?"

Mumbo sighed and looked at Grian with sad eyes. It hurt knowing one of his closest friends felt this way.

"Grian, all of us love you and value you. Why else would we have invited you to Hermitcraft? You joining the server was one of the best things to ever happen to it! To us! Grian, I am so grateful that you decided to join," Mumbo paused and grabbed Grian's hand. "And," he added, "I'm so grateful to have met you."

Mumbo blushed, suddenly realized what he was doing and promptly let go of his hand. "Oh- uhm. Sorry," he said. "Just realized that was kind of weird."

He looked at Grian, but he realized something was off.

Mumbo grabbed Grian's chin and looked at his friend's face.

"Grian?" he asked. Mumbo looked at Grian's face. It looked lifeless, and his eyes looked glazed over, as though he were lost in thought.

"Grian." Mumbo snapped his fingers in front of Grian's eyes, hoping for any kind of response. "Grian? Griaaan?"

Now Mumbo was beginning to really panic.

Mumbo grabbed Grian by the shoulders, trying to see if there was any reaction from him. Suddenly, Grian began to go limp. He collapsed into Mumbo's arms.

Now Mumbo's panic increased ten-fold.

"GRIAN?!" Mumbo shouted. Was Grian dead?

Mumbo checked Grian's pulse. He let out a small sigh of relief. He still had a pulse.