A Moment

"Scar, I'm telling you he-" Mumbo froze. He felt the phone slip out of his hand and heard a faint thud as it fell.

"Grian?"

Grian was lying on the floor, crying. His whole body was trembling, and he was in an enormous amount of pain. It was unbearable.

He looked up at Mumbo, but he couldn't even speak. He just silently pleaded with Mumbo to help him, to make the pain stop.

Mumbo seemed to somehow understand. He ran to Grian's side and tried to help him stand.

Grian's whole body felt weighed down. He could barely move anything. He felt like he was dying.

And he didn't want Mumbo to see this.

Grian began to cry again, not because his body's pain was unbearable, but because he felt so terrible.

He had called Mumbo and dragged him into this. Mumbo was sleeping on his couch now all because he felt bad for Grian.

And Grian felt like a burden.

He had just caused problems for everyone. For Mumbo, for Scar, for the other Hermits. All he had done was mess things up and made other people fix them.

Grian began to cough, each one sending a bolt of burning pain throughout his body. Petal after petal came, bringing with it agony Grian had never felt before in his life.

He wanted to scream, but his throat was too raw. His voice was gone because of all the strain he'd put on his throat.

Grian was terrified. He felt helpless, like a small child trying to fight the monster's in his closet all by himself.

But Grian wasn't all by himself.

He had Mumbo.

And although Grian wanted Mumbo there, he couldn't help feeling bad that he had even got him there in the first place.

Mumbo grabbed Grian and put him in a sitting position. He carefully leaned Grian against the bed.

Grian looked at Mumbo with tears in his eyes. He wanted to say so many things, how grateful he was, how sorry he was, how much he wanted things to be okay, how much he lo-

Grian wanted to say so much.

But all he managed to choke out was a small whisper. "I'm sorry."

Mumbo just pulled Grian into a tight hug. He listened to the smaller's sobs as he pulled him close.

Mumbo also wanted to say so many things to Grian. He wanted to tell him how scared he was, for Grian, for himself, for them. He wanted to say everything he felt, everything he had always felt. He wanted to tell Grian that he l-

Mumbo wanted to say so much.

But he stayed silent as he held Grian and rocked him back and forth. They both cried, and neither spoke.

But they both wanted to say so much.

A lifetime of words that had stayed locked inside. Words that plagued them, inspired them. Words that held so little meaning and so much meaning.

They both began to settle down, and after they spent a long time on the floor, Mumbo quietly helped Grian to his feet.

They both sat on the edge of Grian's bed, feeling hundreds of things. Thinking hundreds of thoughts.

They both stayed silent. Neither of them spoke for a long time.

Eventually, Mumbo turned his gaze towards Grian. Grian turned and met his gaze.

It felt like everything that had been inside just came out at that moment. Every thought, every feeling, every unspoken conversation.

A lifetime of words was exchanged in a single glance.

Neither of them spoke as Grian leaned into Mumbo and put his head on his shoulder. A few tears ran down his cheek as he closed his eyes.

Mumbo simply put a hand on Grian's shoulder. They both sat in the silence that had once been so crushing but now felt comforting.

They were both so tired, so scared, but in that moment of silence and calm, the only thing they felt was each other's company.

Mumbo didn't want to lose his best friend.

Grian didn't want to lose his life.

But for right now, they both had everything they could possibly want.

A lifetime of longing in a minute of silence

~~~

-Meanwhile-

Scar heard a thud and silence.

"Mumbo?!" he yelled. "What's going on? Mumbo?"

Scar was panicking. Why did Mumbo just drop the phone? What was going on? Was everything okay?

Scar tried to listen as best he could. All he could hear was silence and-

Crying.

The back of Scar's neck prickled. It was the same crying he had heard. It was Grian.

Scar hung up the phone, knowing that whatever was going on, it wasn't his business to listen.

But Scar still felt absolutely horrible. He knew that this was because of him, that if he hadn't said anything about the gift box the Hermit's wouldn't have come and no one would have said that horrible stuff.

And now Grian was crying.

Scar had never heard Grian cry before. In fact, he had never really heard Grian sad before. It had always been laughter and cheer from Grian.

And Scar had broken him.

And that thought made his heart ache. He sat down on his bed and cried. It was like he could feel Grian's pain in his heart.

He had somehow even seen Grian crying. And as Scar closed his eyes, all he could see was Grian's face. Grian had been terrified and sad.

And Scar felt that somehow it was definitely his fault.

And that face would haunt him and break his heart every time he closed his eyes.

—-

HEYYY

Sorry for the shorter chapter, this one was meant to be more of a transition chapter.

I promise it'll all be worth it and pay off.

In the meantime, I want to thank everyone for reading this! Its amazing that a random idea I had while waiting for my mom to get home became this! I'm really happy that people are enjoying the story.

See you in the next chapter.

-Shadow