Rough Riding

Colt trudged through the soggy pavement and approached Kay leaning against the brick wall outside the school entrance. The soft rain pelted the deserted school behind them.

"Hey cowboy," Kay cheekily greeted.

"Well, you're a sight for sore eyes. Another second with Remington and I'd be playing blackjack with the devil."

"You know that's what I hate most about you man," replied Kay. "The self-deprecating."

"Woman you and I both know I ain't opening those pearly gates. At least you can look down and laugh at my eternal flammation."

Kay chuckled. "No, I won't cause I'm taking your pathetic ass with me."

Colt wheezed in response. "Gee thanks. So, what problem do I need to fix for you this time?"

Kay finally stood up straight and walked towards the entrance with Colt in tow. The two walked through empty corridors and past deserted classrooms, only the rain drops assaulting the roof could be heard. They reached a classroom, and as Kay sat on what appeared to be her desk, Colt pulled up a seat next to her. 

"This cold has knocked out a few of the girls. We're inadequately crewed and we're against Blue Division in the quarterfinals."

"It's Blue Division, so what?" asked Colt. "You can handle them." 

"I don't know if you've been paying attention, but they've never gotten this far before and they've became far bolder than previous matches. I've noticed it and commander Pool has noticed."

"Okay? So, you want me hunt down replacements?" asked Colt.

"Exactly," said a voice behind them.

The two startled figures looked behind them to see a girl hanging up her drenched coat on a nearby hook. She approached the now standing Colt.

"Good to see you again my friend," the girl greeted.

"Likewise, Pool I see Kay hasn't ousted you yet," replied Colt.

"No not yet" Pool chuckled. "But she'll make a fine commander."

Kay blushed in response. "Thanks commander."

Pool smiled in return. "But she is right though, this damn bug going around isn't making life better for anyone. Blue Division's victory over Anzio was a big wake up call for us and I won't allow Saunders to be defeated by them." 

"So, these replacements, where can I find them?" asked Colt impatiently.

The two girls beamed. "I believe this can help you find them," said Pool, tossing Colt a badge.

He caught it and examined it closely. Two golden crossed sabers above the letters WWW underneath. Upon instantly recognizing the symbol he quickly looked up at the girls.

"My... my... my club?" he stuttered.

"It took some time to organize but the headmaster, Kay here, the JSF, and myself have all agreed to a forming of a male volunteer unit. And what better man to lead it than you."

Colt slowly sat back down and wiped his brow. "Lord almighty," he breathed. 

"You okay man?" asked Kay.

"Yeah yeah, just dandy."

"So, what are you gonna name your unit?" asked Pool.

"Wow," exclaimed Emma. 

"Exactly," replied Colt. "Officially it was called the 1st Saunders Male Volunteers, but we gave it its own nickname."

The two came into a clearing and stopped as the horses took a drink from a nearby creek.

"Let me tell you kid, when I went back to tell Remington it was like he was never sick in the first place. I knew the boys were gonna get pissed drunk that night, but the few sensible ones like Winchester took the news in stride, then a few days later we began our training."

"You know I managed to interview most of your unit?" said Emma.

"Really?" asked Colt. 

"Yup, Winchester, Remington, Browning they were all really nice. I even got to interview some of the Saunders girls. Well, except Alisa of course."

Colt wheezed. "Hell, you should've seen her face when she found out her crush wasn't a member."

The two laughed before carrying on with their mounted trek. The sight of a hawk gliding above the two caught Emma's eye who promptly took a photo on her phone.

"Obviously we knew nothing about tanks. Horses were more our style, but we found a vehicle to suit our tastes."

Two men exhaustingly slid open the doors to the tank hanger and turned on the lights. Before the group lay a row of rusted M24s.

"What the hell is it?" asked Browning.

"I think they call it a tank," replied Derringer sarcastically.

"Very funny," growled Browning.

Kay stepped out from the group, as did Colt who approached the tank. 

"The M24 Chaffee," announced Kay. "Replacement for the M3 Stuart, 75 mm gun with two M1919 machine guns and a twin Cadillac 44T24 8-cylinder petrol engine."

The men looked at Kay with confused expressions.

"Tank go fast," Kay sighed.

 "Ohhhh," the men collectively said.

From the still admiring group, Winchester took his place beside Colt.

"What are you thinking?" he asked.

"They'll do," replied Colt. "But best we get these outside and cleaned up. I'll get Remington and Derringer to pick up anything we're missing."

"Alright," said Winchester.

Colt marched over to a box filled with books and gave them to Winchester. "Here, give these out to our best riders. I'm sure they'd like the honors."

As he left, Kay walked over to Colt. "Everything okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, we'll get them to drive these outside then we'll begin maintenance. Anything we're missing?"

"No everything should be there; you want me to stick around?"

"Sure, if you help us with the cleaning," smirked Colt.

Kay sarcastically laughed. "Yeah, sorry I forgot; I have an appointment with Pool soon, so I'll leave you boys to it."

In the background the tanks began to rev their engines and slowly started to slide outside of the hanger. 

-Later-

"Has Colt got everything sorted?" asked Pool.

"I think so," replied Kay.

"Remember Kay this whole thing, the unit, the guys, is all classified. I want to see the expressions on the other commanders when we send them into battle for the first time."

The two girls heard a ruckus emanating from the hangers. A concerned look took over Pool's face as the two rushed outside. The male contingent sang as they scrubbed and cleaned the exterior of their vehicles, with Kay and Pool onlooking nearby. 

"Well," said Kay. "At least they're enthusiastic about it."