Friends Nearby

"This is getting ridiculous!" barked Remington.

"Christ can you please calm down," begged Winchester.

"Winnie it's been a week; I feel bad for the guy but right now he needs to pull his shit together."

"I know just... chill alright," replied Winchester angrily.

Remington and Winchester were joined in their lodge by the quiet members of the unit along with several Saunders students. Springfield and his Irish friends sat still at the counter, slowly downing their drinks till only the rattle of their ice could be heard. Soon Kay walked through the door causing most of the room to stand up and eagerly waited for her to speak.

Her only response was a depressing shake of the head.

"That's that then," sighed Remington.

"So, what do we do now?" asked Browning.

"We need to keep training," replied Kay. "I know it sucks but we have to start focusing on the match coming up."

Remington turned to Winchester. "Exactly, we have more important shit to worry about brother."

Winchester refused to answer, however four men stepped forward and addressed both Kay and Remington. 

"We're with Winchester," one boy said. "We're not a crew without Uncle Colter."

Winchester gave them a smile, as did Kay. Remington however scoffed and turned his back on Colt's crew. 

"Maybe we should get Gatling back here?" chuckled Derringer. "That's if the Vietnamese haven't killed him."

The boys softly chuckled along with a few girls. However, it wasn't enough to raise morale, and Remington spoke up again.

"I sure know what side he'd pick," he said.

"Oh, there's sides now are there?" spat Winchester.

"I'd say that's a pretty fair statement don't you brother?" 

Winchester stood up and confronted Remington, however, the two were stopped by Browning.

"Well, sitting in here and arguing isn't gonna help our situation," said Browning. "Best we cross this bridge when we get there right?"

"I agree, come on all of you let's get outta here and get some training in us. The Big Shot crew I'd like you to join, just in case."

"Yes commander," they replied.

As the meeting disbanded Winchester approached Kay who ordered a simple glass of water from Springfield. 

"I hope you can understand the Big Shot crew and my feelings regarding this whole thing," said Winchester.

"Of course! A part of me doesn't want to fight without him also. But this is our school we're talking about, our life. Sure, I know it's not a big deal for you guys since you're not students but... well we're gonna fight for what's ours."

Winchester smirked. "Forgive me commander but you're wrong. This is a big deal for us also. We have sisters, cousins, and friends here and we're gonna fight for what's theirs. And I'm more than willing to fight without Colt, but I'm sure as hell not giving up on him just yet."

"Thanks Winne," smiled Kay. "What do you think Spring?"

Springfield was busy cleaning out a glass but turned his attention towards the pair.

"As the big man would say, give 'em hell."

The two laughed in response, and suddenly out of the corner of her eye, Kay noticed Emma walk through the door, phone in hand.

"You alright Emma?" she asked.

"I might have an idea," she replied.

-The next day-

Kay knocked twice on Colt's door with Winchester and Emma standing behind her. The door slowly opened, and the unshaven and droopy eyed Colt stood in the doorway with sauce all over his ragged shirt.

"Can't I enjoy my damn nachos in peace?" groaned Colt.

The three ignored him and made their way into the room, a room that smelled of alcohol and food. 

"How you feeling man?" asked Kay.

"Great," Colt sarcastically replied.

Winchester noticed the paused Red Dead Redemption 2 on the television screen. 

"What part are you up to brother?" he asked.

"The part where Hosea and Lenny die," sighed Colt.

"Jesus Christ Colt come on!" barked Kay.

"Oh, what now?" Colt spat back.

Kay put her hands on his shoulders. "Colt I am sorry for your loss, we all are, and I love you man, but this is starting to piss me off now!"

"Well why don't you throw another expensive party, maybe that will lighten the mood!" 

Kay immediately saw red and slapped Colt across the cheek. His eyes became fully awake and began to look at Kay's misty glare. Winchester and Emma meanwhile stood still, mouths hanging open at the sight of what they just witnessed. Kay reached into her pocket and pulled out small box before shoving it into Colt's hands. 

"If we can't help your pathetic ass, then maybe he can!"  

Kay stormed out of the room with the still bewildered Winchester and Emma following suit. The gawking Colt stood staring at the door before looking down at the box. He slowly sat down on a nearby stool and opened the box. He plucked a flash drive and a beaded bracelet from inside the box. 

Colt made his way over to his computer and plugged the drive in. He opened the lone video file and became misty eyed himself after seeing Charles looking back at him. 

"Hello again my friend. Emma told me you were pretty shook up after father's passing. Thought you might need some words of encouragement. He wished you could've been there to see him off, but he understood why you couldn't, and he wanted me to tell you that you made him proud for helping your friends and making amends with that girl. We're very happy we caught you at that bridge before... you know."

Tears began to trickle down Colt's cheek and continued to watch Charles.

"Inside the box you'll find a bracelet. If you recall, I was wearing it when that bear attacked us. Well, I consider it a good luck bracelet, and with your important match coming up I thought you should have it. We'll be watching your match all the way over here, so go give 'em hell!"

Colt smiled to himself and slid the bracelet onto his right wrist. He scratched his stubble beard and arose from his seat. He let out a final sigh before heading towards the bathroom.