The Final Ride

Kay observed the combined forces of Shermans and Stuarts practicing various drills. Gunners were nearby studying their opponent's tanks while loaders practiced their reloading speed. The sounds of machine gun fire and revving engines echoed throughout the training grounds.  While observing the grounds Kay noticed a figure standing amongst the settling dust. 

His blue tunic, brown pants and slouch hat was instantly spotted making Kay produce a smile on her face. Before long everyone's attention was on the approaching figure who dusted his uniform off. He diverted his gaze towards the Stuarts whose occupants watched with glee as their leader strolled past them.

"Nobody said stop gentlemen," he smirked.

"Yes sir!" the crews happily replied.

The tanks carried on as Colt made his way to the commander. 

"You sure know how to make an entrance," said Kay.

"And you sure know how to slap a man," responded Colt.

Kay laughed. "Looks like I slapped the hair off your face."

"Yeah, thanks for that."

The two watched the training side by side with big smiles on their faces. Colt dug into his pocket and pulled out his phone before tapping on the screen. The loudspeakers came to life as Henry Work's Marching Through Georgia blared. 

"Now that's the Colter I know," said Remington.

Days went by, the training lasted longer with whole days being taken up. The match and the last day of Saunders soon came into view and as the evening before the big day arrived, emotions were mixed. Some eager to fight and give it their best shot while others were scared to the core. The crews all lined up to face Kay.

"Ladies, gentlemen, this is it. We've done all we can in preparation for tomorrow. I'm not really one for speeches but I just wanna say thank you, all of you, for sticking by Saunders. And I'm sorry for this whole inconvenience I've caused with my reckless actions. But I'd appreciate it if you rip into me after we have won back our school. Okay!"

"Okay!" 

"You're dismissed!"

As the crews departed Colt came up to the slightly shaking Kay.

"Nice speech commander," he chuckled.

"Shut up," she teased back. "Hey, are you up for anything tonight?"

"Well, the boys are throwing a small party, but I've had enough parties for one lifetime. What'd you have in mind?"

"Burgers?" she asked.

"Only if you pay this time."

Kay jokingly punched Colt in the shoulder before climbing onto his back. The two laughed before departing. The streets were fairly busy, students getting their last meal from the still open restaurants and other fast-food joints. Colt managed to walk all the way to the burger place with Kay still attached to his back. 

"We're here madam," said Colt.

"Best steed in Saunders," said Kay as she patted his head.

Colt let out a big stretch while Kay graciously opened the door for him. 

At the lodge the boys all sat and stood around the bar counter with Springfield popping off bottle caps.

"Where's the big man?" asked Springfield.

"With Kay I think," replied Winchester.    

To everyone's confusion, Wesson climbed onto the counter and raised his glass.