Chapter 3 : Adoption

Once he felt that Haein was asleep, Chan slowly got up from the bed, careful not to wake her up. He exited the room. After one last glance at her, he shut the door and went back to his room.

"I wish you were my family. You're always there when I need you."

Her words repeated in his head. Chan sat down on his bed. It was a wild night for him. Chan really wanted to help her out though he hadn't been much close to her. His conscience would never forgive him if he didn't. He layed down on the bed and tried to sleep. But his thoughts were all messed up. He didn't have a plan for further.

When he got Haein's call, he didn't even think twice and went there with the police. It was one of the most craziest things he had ever done. He didn't get an ounce of sleep that night.

Next morning, Haein woke up and went to the living room. Chan was in the kitchen making breakfast.

"Oh good morning. Did you sleep well?" He asked with a smile.

"Yeah, I did," she replied and sat on the couch.

Chan came to the living room and sat on another couch. He started speaking, "So, I was thinking about what to do now last night and I decided that..."

"Th-that?" Haein was nervous. Her palms were sweaty. Would he leave her at an orphanage? Whatever he would say, she couldn't oppose it. She was already too grateful to him for what he'd done.

"That I will take your legal custody. You're gonna stay with me from now on." She looked at him with widen eyes. She never expected him to do that. No one in his place would do that.

"WHAT? Are you crazy? This could ruin your career as an idol!"

"I've given it enough thought. I made the decision thinking about everything. I'll talk to the company about this too. You're still a minor. You're just a kid. I can't leave you in this state. There are predators out there who will swallow you down without any mercy."

"But why though? I'm already grateful for everything you've done. I don't wanna burden you anymore."

"No, I'm doing this cause I want to. You're not being a burden. You don't have anywhere else to go. Besides, you did say that you wish I was your family. Though we're not that close yet, we're still friends, right? Friends always have each other's backs. So I've got yours. Please let me do this for you."

Her eyes teared up but this time not for sadness, instead for gratitude. "Thank you so much, Chris. No one has ever done so much for me. I promise I'll never cause you any trouble again. I'll listen to you always."

"You don't have to pressurize yourself with such thoughts. I don't expect anything from you. As I said, I'm doing this cause I want to. I'll prepare the adoption papers. The process will be long, especially with the case on your parents. But in the end, it'll all be worth it. You need to mentally prepare yourself for all the procedures."

"Hmm." She nodded.

"Also, let's get your belongings from your house today."

That day, firstly they went to the police station where Haein gave an official statement. She described everything to them. The police assured them that they would get the highest punishment for what they'd done.

Then we went to Chan's lawyer's office. "Hmm..." the lawyer sighed after listening to the whole story. "Chan, what you're doing is a really good job but it'll be hard. Especially considering that you're gonna be a single parent. If you were married, it would make things easier. But still I'll do my best. I'll take care of all the paperwork and court procedures. Meanwhile, you need to get a certificate from a counselor to prove you're worthy enough to be a single parent."

"Yeah, Minjun. I'll get it asap," Chris replied.

Then the lawyer, Minjun started talking to Haein, "Listen to me carefully, don't be afraid at the court. Just speak the truth. The court always supports the victim. Also if you support Chan, the adoption process will become even easier. The court won't have any reason to not give your custody to him."

"Yes, Mr. Minjun," she replied with a nod.