chapter twelve

"Hi, Harry", I say, trying not to shiver as I step outside into the freezing cold weather, "Was just calling to make sure you two don't need me today. How are you?"

"In a second, honey", I hear Harry talking to Elia before getting back to me again, "Sorry, Louis. We're okay. Both still have a small cold but Elia's fever is down, thankfully."

"I'm glad", I say, adjusting my backpack on my shoulder, "So I don't need to come by today?"

"No", he says, sounding as if he still wanted to add something, "I mean, unless", it's quite again, Elia's singing in the background is the only thing that can be heard.

"We were gonna go for a walk and get some hot chocolate. It's probably stupid, but in case you wanna come, Elia surely would be happy."

"And me too", he adds after a short break, his voice going a little quieter, causing me to let out a small smile.

I take a quick glance at the clock, realizing that it's only three p.m. and that I don't have any plans for today except for cooking with Niall later this evening.

"Obviously it's fine if you're not free, you have spent enough time with us over the last week, no worries", he quickly adds.

"I'd love to come", I say before he continues rambling, "I'll wait in front of yours, yeah?"

"Yes", he says, "Thank you, see you."

He hangs up before I can say anything and I slightly smile, taken aback by the fact that I'm so happy to see them again. It's as if they suddenly have become a bit more important to me over the last few days, especially Harry.

I wait in front of the building until they come outside, Elia first, wearing a thick winter jacket, a beanie, a scarf and small gloves, smiling up at me excitedly. "Hi, Louis", she says, waving at me, "I'm not sick anymore."

I smile, crouching down. "That's incredible, darling", I say, brushing over the curls pealing out from under her beanie.

"Hi, Louis", Harry says, smiling softly, "Thanks for coming."

I snort as I get up again. "What even are you thanking me for?", I ask with an amused smile on my lips.

He shrugs, chuckling as a red tint makes its way up to his cheeks. "No clue. Got so used to saying it every time you came around."

I smile, offering Elia to take my hand as she wraps her other one around Harry's and we start strolling towards the centre of the city.

It feels a little bit unusual spending my free time with them, but as we walk towards the city, Elia in between us, Harry telling me about uni and laughing more than I've ever seen him before, I do feel like doing this more frequently from now on.

"Where are we headed?", I ask, gently squeezing Elia's hand, gesturing that I'm addressing her.

She smiles up at me, a curl falling into her face which she quickly wipes away. "We go to the city and we get hot chocolate and I hope daddy will buy me a sweet."

"Another sweet?", I exclaim, trying to sound shocked.

She giggles and nods causing more hair to fly onto her face.
"Daddy says I'm a sweet teeth."

"That's not exactly what I said", Harry says, smiling happily, "But yeah, I will buy you a donut if you want me to."

Elia nods excitedly, squealing happily as she starts jumping up and down, letting go of mine and Harry's hands to make a pirouette.

"And you told me you couldn't go to kindergarten today?", Harry exclaims, grabbing Elia picking her up, hugging her tightly, "Tomorrow you're going back though, you crazy little dancer."

Elia giggles, letting the back of her head fall against Harry's shoulder and I watch with a big smile on my lips as Harry presses a short kiss to her cold, red nose placing her down on the floor shortly after.

Elia goes back to holding both of our hands meanwhile Harry shoots me a quick glance, smiling a little before turning his gaze back to the street in front of us.

We briefly arrive at the city where a few booths for the Christmas market have already been set up, one of which being the hot chocolate booth Harry and Elia wanted to go to.

Harry gets Elia a donut from a bakery first and she widely smiles as she excitedly carries the bag containing the donut to the booth.

"Hi", Harry says to the woman on the booth, "I'd like to have one hot chocolate please."

"Two", I correct with a smile.

"Me also", Elia says, Harry picking her up so she can talk to the woman behind the counter.

"I like a hot chocolate and daddy can I get marshmallows on them?"

Harry sighs and nods, not being able to resist the cuteness of his daughter. "Okay, with the little marshmallows on top, please."

"Of course, sweetheart", the woman behind the counter says, smiling at Elia.

After getting our hot chocolate, we sit down at one of the tables in front of the booth, Elia happily eating half of the donut and drinking the hot chocolate with a big smile on her face the entire time.

"Louis always has to come when I'm sick", she says, grinning at me, "With the juice I get better more fast."

I smile back at her, containing the urge to brush over her cheek with my thumb. "I'd love to come every time you're sick, darling. And when you're not sick as well of course."

"Yes.", she says, picking a marshmallow out of her hot chocolate, "I and daddy love that."

"We do", Harry quickly agrees, smiling at me from across the table and all of a sudden I feel a warm tingling feeling in my stomach. Extremely happy because those two are as well.

When we're all done with drinking, Harry and I having to share the rest of the donut Elia didn't eat, we take the cups back to the booth and walk around the city for a little longer, enjoying the Christmas lights and listening to a guy, who's playing the guitar, sing a Christmas song as Elia dances along happily.

"Tired", she says after some time, tugging at Harry's sleeve, "You gotta carry me, daddy."

He immediately agrees picking her up and she smiles happily as she wraps her arms around him, slipping her tiny hands under his jacket to warm them.

I accompany them to their door since their flat is on my way home anyways. "Bye Elia", I say, waving at her, broadly smiling when she waves back.

"Bye, Louis", she says, "Have fun with your friends."

"Thank you, darling. You have fun with your daddy too, sleep well."

She nods, smiling shyly before hiding her face in Harry's neck. I think about hugging Harry goodbye for a second but then realize that he's carrying Elia and we'd squeeze her between us so I just lift my hand awkwardly.

"Bye, Louis", Harry says, "Was nice that you came with us."

"It was", I agree, smiling a last time before turning around and walking back home.

~~~

hope you liked it <3