chapter thirty-seven

“No,” Harry says, slightly shaking his head.

“Come on, baby. Please?” I pout a little, trying to persuade him by kissing his temple and attempting to look cute.

“No, Louis,” he says, rolling his eyes and smiling slightly. “It’s far too early for that.”

I sigh. It’s been three weeks since we went to Elia’s kindergarten day and we haven’t seen each other much in those weeks.

When Harry was working, I took Elia twice, and she even stayed overnight once so I wouldn’t have to walk all the way home from their flat in the middle of the night. We were also able to spend one Saturday together but the rest of the time both me and Harry were extremely busy with a lot of exams and studying.

Now it’s Saturday morning, and I’m going to see my parents for the next two days, hoping to spend the first real spring days there, with Harry and Elia, preferably.

“It’s not too early, babe,” I argue, shaking my head. “I want you to get to know them.”

“What if they don’t like me?” Harry asks quietly, turning his head to the side to avoid looking at me.

“What?”, I exclaim, “How could anyone not like you? Bullshit, H.”

He lets out a sigh. “If I were them, I wouldn’t want my son to have a boyfriend who became a single parent at the age of eighteen.”

“You really think that’s what they care about? They want their son to have a boyfriend that makes him happy. Besides, the fact that you are a single parent only proves that I got myself a really responsible, loving, and wonderful man.”

He blushes slightly and nestles his face into the crook of my neck. “Alright,” he mumbles, “if you insist.”

“Really?” I grin broadly, tilting his head back slightly so I can press a sloppy kiss to his brow. “I love you.”

He nods. “I love you too, Lou. Nervous though.”

“Don’t have to be”, I insist, “I promise it’ll be fine. If it isn’t, we’ll leave early, okay?”

He nods, then sits up in bed, nodding towards Elias’ bedroom. “I’m going to quickly wake Li up so we can have breakfast and then leave, okay?”

I nod, sitting up and kissing him again before heading to the kitchen to make some pancakes that, hopefully, won’t burn like the last time I tried to make them on my own.

~~~

“How many more?” Elia wriggles in my lap, “Louis, this takes ages.” I try not to laugh as she lowers her head to my chest and rolls her eyes slightly.

“Two halts, love. And then it’s just a ten-minute walk.”

“Ugh,” she grumbles, “Daddy, how much is ten minutes again?”

Harry looks down at her with a smile. “About two Peppa Pig episodes, darling, it’s not that long, see?”

“But Peppa Pig is always faster than stupid walks.”

Harry laughs, nodding. “I know. But then you’ll meet Louis’ mummy and daddy, that’s exciting, isn’t it?”

She nods. “Louis, I never met anyone’s mummy and daddy cause daddy don’t ever sees his.”

I look over at Harry and his face drops a little bit at her words, so I take his hand into mine, squeezing it tightly.

“Well, you know, since daddy is my boyfriend my parents are basically his too.”

She smiles as she raises her eyebrows at me. “See, daddy”, she says, turning to Harry, “Then I got two parents now and you too.”

She smiles and contently stares out of the window. I feel my heart warming at her words, moving a bit closer to Harry, who kisses the top of my head, mumbling: “You’re making her so happy, Louis. Thank you.”

I shake my head, not wanting him to overpower me with his love. “Don’t thank me, H. You two make me just as happy.”

“Now is two stops,” Elia shouts, which is fortunate because we would have missed it otherwise. “Lets go, quickly!" She rushes out of the tube and runs outside, jumping up and down as she waits for us.

We walk for about twelve minutes because Elia is even more unmotivated to walk than I am, but once we arrive, she is overjoyed.

Harry, on the other hand, is visibly tense, his hand a little too tightly squeezing mine. “Harry, please, darling, there’s no reason for you to be so worried about it. I’m sure they’ll love you both.”

He smiles a little but doesn’t seem convinced, and it saddens me that after having his heart broken so badly, he doesn’t realize how much of a loveable person he is.

“I’m just gonna ring real quick”, Elia says, getting on her tiptoes to reach the button, “Louis, is your mummy and daddy nice?”

“Very”, I say, nodding, “They’re the nicest people ever.”

She smiles cheerfully, rings the doorbell, and waits patiently in front of it. Mum appears a few seconds later, clearly having waited for us.

She looks down at Elia first, breaking into a big smile. “Well, hello, Elia. I’ve heard so much about you, nice to see you.”

Elia scrunches her nose up as she smiles up at mum shyly. “Nice to see you also, Louis’ mum. Why have you heared of me?”

Mum slightly chuckles. “You may call me Jay, darling. And Louis’ told me all about you. He loves you lots.”

Elia turns to grin at me. “I know”, she then says, “Me too.”

She grabs my hand, prompting Harry to step forward so mum can wrap him in a tight hug, happiness washing over me as I see her big smile. “Hello, love, it’s great to finally meet you.”

Harry smiles as he pulls away. “Hi, thank you so much for inviting us, I’m really happy to be here too.”

I hug Mum and say hello before we walk into the kitchen, Dad having just come in from the garden. “I didn’t hear the bell ring,” he apologizes, waving his muddy hands through the air.

When he sees Elia, he begins to smile broadly. “Hello, Elia. I’m sorry, I’m a bit of a mud monster.”

Elia giggles, looking at him fondly. “I love plants”, she says, “Do you plant plants?”

He gives a nod. “It’s my hobby. Do you want to come see them? You could help a bit, I bet you’d be a big help.”

“I don’t really ever did it before”, she says, scratching her neck, “But I guess if you teached me a bit I help lots.” She shrugs, smiling.

“Of course,” dad replies, nodding. “Harry, sorry for not having said hello yet; your daughter drew my attention.” He nods towards the garden with an apologetic smile. “I’ll say hello properly later.”

Harry nods, smiling back and appearing less tense. “Of course, no worries. You’re okay with Elia coming?”

Dad nods, and Harry looks at Elia. “Have fun, but don’t cause any trouble, alright baby?”

She eagerly nods, then takes dad’s muddy hand in her tiny one and drags him outside.
I watch fondly as they sit on the ground, dad explaining various things to Elia while Harry, mum, and I sit at the table with some cake and coffee.

~~~

hope you enjoyed <333

last chapter tomorrow and then the epilogue in a few days, probably <3