chapter sixteen

It's already rather late evening when we get back from our yearly Christmas walk, most of the others head to bed nearly immediately but us others sit around the table in the kitchen.

I have Sam, Lottie's son on my lap, bouncing my foot up and down so he stays entertained as he chews on a piece of leftover bread.

"That yummy?" I ask him, bopping his nose with my finger and it makes him giggle a little laugh that makes my heart warm up.

"Louis, since when are you so obsessed with children?", mum asks, taking a sip of her wine.

"Since he's got a babysitter job", Lottie says, "Seems to me he's a little obsessed with her."

"Or her dad."

"What?", I exclaim, why'd I be obsessed with children because of Harry? I'm sorry, that makes absolutely no sense." I roll my eyes, brushing over Sam's head in regular strokes.

"Who's Harry?", mum now asks, leaning forward a little.

"The dad of the girl I babysit", I say, leaning back in my chair and having a look at the new watch I got for my birthday yesterday. It's already past midnight.

"Ah", mum makes, still not completely being able to keep up with our conversation, "And you're dating him?"

"No", I exclaim, letting my head fall into my hands, "Why does everyone think that?"

"Maybe because you've been seeing him weekly and you're both good looking, gay single men?", Lottie asks, rolling her eyes as if it was obvious.

"I don't know if he's gay", I say.

"Louis. His sister got him a pink apron with a crown in the front for Christmas."

"And?", I ask, rubbing over Sam's belly as he slowly falls asleep, "That's a little stereotypical, dear sister."

She rolls her eyes and gets up to get Sam who's fully asleep on my lap by now from me, getting him to bed.

I say goodnight to mum as well, my eyes already starting to close before I head to bed. I get read in the bathroom, brushing my teeth and changing into pyjamas, too lazy to anything else.

Once in bed I scroll around on my phone for a little bit, looking at my friend's Instagrams, asking Niall about the date with Amelia that apparently went really well and watching weird Christmas videos on my for you page.

At quarter to one a message from Harry arrives and I start smiling a little, clicking on it immediately.

Harry: Hi Louis, still awake? Had a good Christmas?

Me: i did thank u
u too?

He doesn't answer even though he's read the message and I already want to settle for Instagram again when I receive a call.

It's Harry and I take it, lifting the phone to my ear so I won't wake up anyone in the rooms next to mine

"Are you free right now?", Harry asks, talking quietly.
"I am."

"Sorry for calling so randomly", he says, "I just really hate texting."

We both don't say anything for a second before he adds: "And I missed talking to you."

I smile broadly. "I missed talking to you too", I say, "How was your Christmas?"

"Good", he says, "Gemma and Leo were here and Elia was so happy about her presents. She got some new clothes for her dolls and board games. And the highlight was a little high chair for Timmy and Lilly. Oh, and she got me a little card they made in kindergarten."

I smile. "I only got some money from my parents", I say, "We don't really gift each other anything."

"Same here", Harry says, "So all you got was money? No unpacking gifts?"

"Nope." I get comfortable in my bed, plumbing up the pillows behind my back, "Well, I did get a watch for my birthday yesterday."

"It was your birthday?", Harry exclaims.

"Yes." I smile, hearing him groan on the other side of the phone.

"Why didn't you tell me?", he whines and I can imagine his face when he says that.

"I don't know, it never came up. You can wish me a late happy birthday though."

"Happy late birthday, Louis", he says softly and it might've been the best birthday wish I've gotten so far.

"When is yours?", I ask after a few seconds of silence, putting the phone on speaker because my arm is getting tired from having to hold it up all the time.

"February first", he says, "That's so unfair. Now you can wish me a happy birthday when I couldn't. I'm pouting right now in case you can't hear."

I laugh a little, suddenly really feeling like hugging him again, letting my head rest against his shoulder, smelling his scent.

"Plans for new years?", I ask him, yawning a little.

"No", he says, "Sit home and calm Lia because she's scared of fireworks, like the last year's as well." He chuckles a little sadly at the end.

"Well, I'm celebrating with my friends", I say, "at ours, actually. If you feel like coming, You and Elia could sleep in my room, I'll just move to Niall."

"Oh", Harry says, sounding a little surprised, "I don't want to intrude. I mean, you surely wanna go out and party, I can't do that with her."

"I hate new years parties with a burning passion", I say truthfully, "I'd love nothing more than to stay home with you to watch Elia."

"Well in that case", I hear Harry say, "I'd love to."

"Cool", I say, trying to control my smile, "Well then I hope we'll see us then but maybe before as well."

"Hope so. Feel free to come by whenever you feel like it."

"I'll take that offer. How long does your sister stay? I'll be home in two days."

"Then we'll see each other in two days, if you want to", Harry says and I'm pretty sure he's smiling when saying that.

We say goodbye after a little bit more of texting and I write him a short goodnight text.

He replies with a 'sleep well xx' and I can't stop smiling when falling asleep quickly.

~~~

hope you liked it <3