chapter thirty-eight

I wake up the next morning with a hurting neck, because the mattress in my childhood bed really isn’t comfortable.

I turn to see Harry still next to me, eyes closed peacefully so he apparently didn’t mind the mattress as much as I did.

The inflatable mattress we placed next to the bed is empty, indicating that Elia has already woken up.

I sigh letting my head drop back onto the pillow, watching Harry sleep for a few moments before becoming bored and repeatedly kissing his cheek.

With his eyes closed, he groans quietly, attempting to push me away. “Louis”, he mumbles, “Ugh, stop it.” He pushes again, but not hard enough to get me to move.

“Fuck off. For once my child doesn’t wake me but now it’s my just as annoying boyfriend.” I laugh and mumble a little “Sorry” before climbing on top of him to lay down and properly hug him.

“Get off, you’re heavy.”

It only takes a small push this time for me to land on the mattress next to him. “Hey, I’m just being affectionate,” I whine, “let me be.”

“Let me be,” he says, covering his face with a pillow, “and go make me some breakfast.”

“Would’ve done that if you had asked nicely.” I try hugging him again, but this time he just lies there without moving, which doesn’t help.

“You’re supposed to hug me back, Harry.” I actually start pouting, which is a little embarrassing, but luckily he can’t see me because the pillow is still over his eyes.

Elia opens the door a few seconds later, still in her oversized pyjamas, half of her curls tangled in a bun.

“Daddy, Loulou, you’re so lazy!”, she shouts, grinning, “I already planted flowers and made pancakes.”

When she sees Harry, she scrunches her face up and climbs into bed next to me. “Oh,” she says quietly, “is he sleeping?”

“Nope”, I say, “He’s grumpy cause I woke him up.” Elia starts giggling, her head thrown back a little.

“Wait, Lou, I show you how to un-grumpy him.”

She sits down on Harry’s chest and pulls the pillow away from his face and I can see Harry is trying hard not to smile, pressing his lips together.

“Daddy, wake up”, she whispers, planting gentle kisses all over his face.

“You have to do it as well and then he’ll be happy cause we’re his loves”, she says confidently, so I lean down to kiss Harry on the cheek.

He smiles as he slightly opens his eyes. “That’s a great method, baby.” He pulls Elia into a tight hug, crushing her against him.

“I know daddy you love my cuddles and Louis’ too.”

She cuddles closer to him, her tiny arms wrapped around his neck. “I do”, he confirms, “Had a good morning?”

She nods, smiling up at me. “Louis’ your parents are the nicest and i like them lots but I miss you two downstairs cause only you and daddy are the very nicest.”

She then gets up again. “Anyways I actually only comed here to say good news. We can eat breakfast now!” She jumps up and down before disappearing and running downstairs.

Harry laughs and rests his head against the pillow. “Now, I wish I had that motivation. She loves it here already, I can tell. She’s not always comfortable around strangers that quickly.”

~~~

Elia had talked Harry and me into staying at my parents for really long because she apparently really needed to play with my old stuffed animals and help dad plant those last plants and teach mum her favorite pancake recipe that she obviously didn’t remember so we had to help and then play hide and seek with mum, and had dad take her to the playground nearby and she really, really had to stay.

It was obviously nice for Harry and me as well. He got to know both of my parents better, seemed more at ease in the end, and we were able to nap, watch some stupid TV show in between and eat pancakes all day.

However, in the end, Elia basically fell asleep in the kitchen; we really have to get going now. I hug mum and dad tightly, promising to return soon, and watch as Harry hugs them as well, seeming truly happy and genuine when he tells them he had a great time over the weekend.

Elia hugs them both as well, talking to them as if she’d known them forever and they both have those looks in their eyes where I just know they’ll love her within the span of a few weeks. Maybe already do, really.

“Thank you both, and maybe next time I can bring my dolls and show you their clothes, and we can make some pancakes for Timmy and Lily? Sound good?”

“Sounds more than good”, mum agrees, “We’ll do that. I’m sure they’ll enjoy gardening just as much as you do.”

Elia nods happily, agreeing with a smile on her lips, and waves once more before we all walk outside, holding hands, Elia in the middle.

“Bye,” mum and dad say, waving one last time before closing the door behind them, and I feel so loved because this is everything I’ve ever wanted: to have one big family that gets along so well.

“Daddy”, Elia says only one minute into the walk, “My foots are really tired.”

“And?”, Harry asks, a knowing smile on his lips.

“I think they are so tired they can’t walk no longer so I guess the only option is you carry me.” She shrugs.

“Well, if it’s the only option then we’ll have to do that, huh? “Baby, come here.”

She runs towards Harry, who is crouching, wrapping her legs around his hips and her arms around his neck.

I take Harry’s free hand and once we arrive at the station, Elia is already asleep, smiling softly and I sit down next to them, feeling so warm and happy about having my family right here, with me.

~~~

that was the last chapter :')

buttttt the epilogue is nearly done, i think I'll write on it a bit more and it'll be rather long. in case you still have any wishes for it tell me and I'll try to include it

will take a few days before I'll publish it tho<3

hope you enjoyed everything until now :)