Chapter 1.

Nailah Zayed.

Maroudi, Nigeria.

Everyone lies.

It could be a casual; every day lie, like declining an invitation. Or, a lie as big as to cover up a heinous crime. It doesn't matter of what gravity it is. All is I know; a lie is a lie on whatever basis it's set up.

I am of no difference of course.

Even as the flashes from countless cameras came, threatening to blind me despite being used to the attention for God knows how long, I didn't waver. The sound of my name being called reached my ears, sounding so foreign and at the same time, screams normality.

"Nailah! Over here!"

"Mrs. Nailah, can you turn to the side slightly?"

"How do you feel being here, Mrs. Nailah?"

"How does it feel like to move past your feud and start a business together?"

"Are you investing in this business because you're trying to amend your relationship?"

"What made you finally decide to collaborate with Basma Wambai?"

"Is this the start of a long lasting relationship between you and Basma?"

That last question had my smile faltering for a nanosecond. I'm certain, considering the persistent flashes, someone must've caught it but I will deal with that later. Instead, I forced myself to allow my lips to stretch into yet another smile. At this point, I've mastered the art of feigning my smile to the point that it's become a part of me.

Faking a smile doesn't feel like a stressful action again. It no longer feels like stepping into a role I have zero interest in. Instead, I welcome it, and owned it.

So what if my smile is fake? No one can tell.

That's how good I am.

Deciding I've been subjected to enough potential blindness, I dropped my hand to the side before turning around to my source of hardship today. At the very same time, she turned around too, so our eyes clashed and yet again, our expression mirrored each other's.

I'm certain this moment felt real and 'beautiful' to the press. After all, it's not the first time they grovel seeing a partnership between two influential people. However, this is different.

This isn't me just collaborating with someone trying to make it in the business world. No, this is someone who has been testing the waters, and finally, got to make it.

Basma Wambai.

Should I lie again?

No. I don't have the energy for that.

It's simple, in case you didn't get it. I hate her with every ounce of strength in me. But, in spite of the hatred I feel towards her, I still am standing right in front of her—with one of the brightest smiles out there in front of countless press to celebrate our new partnership.

The partnership betweeen Zayed Co. and her new boutique. Technically, this partnership is with her father's business but as per her being his beloved daughter, it all went down to yet another investment she's making.

Don't get me wrong, I've been in this business long enough to know how this will end. Want me to predict it?

It will flop.

It wouldn't take long for this so called business of hers to flop. And no, that isn't my hatred for her speaking. Rather, it's the business side of mine speaking earnestly. I've been in this for years, I know what I'm talking about.