Chapter 28

Ayaan Fadel.

Maroudi, Nigeria.

"It's a good thing the driver stopped before he was able to hit you. From what I see here, it seems you've only sprained your ankle due to falling off the bike along with the cuts you've sustained. Fortunately, the helmet helped a lot else you would've had at least a concussion or worse." The doctor explained, his gaze moving to the clipboard in his hand so he could go through it again. "You seemed to have hurt your shoulder as well, but it doesn't look too bad. Get enough rest, and you'll be all good."

I nodded, a small sigh leaving past my lips. Shifting my leg slightly, pain instantly shot through me; making me bite my lower lip hard. This is going to be harder than I expected. It's the worst time for me to get hurt, and it just had to be on my leg.

"—You can use crutches in the meantime. Just be sure not to stress yourself too much; and you'll be good in three weeks max."

"Thank you, doctor."

"It's my pleasure, Mr. Fadel. Now, if you'll excuse me." He turned around after offering me a small smile; before disappearing away along with the nurse that assisted him.

With the sound of the door being closed behind them, I found myself shifting my gaze to my head of security—the only person who knows about my close-to accident so far. Aside from the driver of the car that is; but we've already settled and I made sure he won't go around rattling to anyone.

It wouldn't exactly help with my 'make sure Ammi doesn't find out' agenda. If news spread, she's bound to find out.

"Not a word of this to my mother." I warned, because the last thing I need is for her to hear I've gotten involved in an accident just about an hour or two after promising her I'll stay safe. I don't even want to think of what'll follow if she's aware.

He offered me a curt nod, though I could tell he was slightly unsure of whether he would be able to keep it a secret or not. "I think that'll be hard though, Sir. With all due respect..." He gestured to my bandaged up leg, and the crutches in his hold. "...she has eyes."

I narrowed my eyes at him, making him zip his lips shut. Shaking my head, I didn't bother to hide the small smile that took over my features, knowing he was simply trying to lighten the mood by cracking a joke. It's weird because he doesn't seem like the type that would crack jokes.

Looks can be deceiving though.

My mind instantly went back to what happened last before the incident occurred. The thoughts that clouded my mind then resurfacing; and as a result of it, my mood instantly dampened again. I didn't allow myself to wallow in it again though—I've done enough of that already and now I need to do something that will actually put an end to this all for good.

"What time is it?"

"It's 2:44am, Sir."

"Let's go to my parents house first then, I need to take something there." A part of me knew I could trust the man to get the flash and phone for me, but I don't want to take any risks. This is an extremely serious affair, I don't think anyone could blame me for being cautious. "I'm sure my parents are asleep already--"

"There's no need for that." I was cut off by the sound of the door opening, and a figure I last expect to see there making an appearance. My father walked further into the room, coming to stand beside me on the bed. While his eyes inspected my leg to see the extent of my injury, I found myself throwing another glare at the guard.

He looked away, obviously guilty.

I let out an exasperated sigh, leaning back on the bed. I don't even have it in me at the moment to say anything again.