Chapter 31

Nailah Zayed.

Maroudi, Nigeria.

What if I told you that every single thing that has happened between Ayaan and I since he returned to Maroudi has been nothing but a lie.

It was merely another script, meticulously written down by the both of us—having easily camouflaged with our perfectly scripted lives to give an image...an illusion of what truly isn't.

What if I told you that I've been lying to you from the very beginning? Of course, there are instances that were real—my past is a typical example. Instances involving Ayaan though were all lies, and planned beforehand.

Don't take it personal, my life has always been like that for as long as I can remember. I'd always believed that if you want to fool someone, you have to fool yourself as well. I needed to give it my all and make it as believable as it could possibly be.

I told you in the beginning, didn't I? Everyone lies.

I am no exception.  

See, the first time I met Ayaan was six years ago—before I even met Imran. And no, it wasn't a coincidence.

He came to meet me.

It seemed as though he had planned and timed the whole thing well, and he did, because he waited for the perfect chance to get to talk to me alone; without prying eyes that could raise suspicions. He had thought way ahead of me—already knowing that if I were to agree, then no one should know we knew each other.

It was summer break, and since I couldn't go home for it—I decided to go somewhere like always. My father meant it when he said I wouldn't return until I'm done with university—that was his only way to be certain I had truly become Nailah, and that no one would be able to be suspect me.

I simply wasn't allowed to return to Nigeria, it was up to me though if I wanted to travel to other places though—he wasn't against it despite knowing there was a possibility of me running away. What did he do about it? He warned me to not even think about it—reminding me that even if I go the ends of the earth, he would still find me.

I knew he wasn't just bluffing—I could tell first hand he had that kind of influence, so, I never bothered to try. I simply focused on enjoying that bit of freedom at the very least, if you can term it that, that is.

He didn't mind me going to places as I wished—he called it 'exposure', and that it will be good for me. Let me put it in simple words for you, he means that it would make me seem more 'elite'. I could easily live a life as a beau monde with that sort of exposure.

That summer I decided to visit Isla Mujeras—a Mexican Island in the Caribbean sea. I fell in love with the place at first sight...how could I not? And if I'm being honest, I couldn't help but think of what it would be like to live here.

Their lives seemed simple...you know, less chaotic compared to the type of life I live. They are all so welcoming and kind to everyone. It's honestly impossible to hate the place. That's just how I feel that is.

I had spent half the day just touring around the place, sightseeing and trying new things. However, at a point, I needed to put some food in my stomach so I stopped by a small restaurant situated outside at the beach. The food seemed good, and the sight was enthralling.

It was the perfect place to dine.

I could still remember exactly what I ordered.

Risotto with Crustacean.

Yes, the exact same thing I ordered when Ayaan and I dined together the other day—it has a story behind it. A story that was born that very day.

Shortly after the waitress had delivered the food, I was about halfway through it when a voice suddenly came from behind.