Chapter 4

Nailah Zayed.

Maroudi, Nigeria.

The Summit came much faster than we all anticipated. It felt like it was just the day before we were informed of it taking placeg. And now, the day is here already.

As it was planned, it was to take place in BlackAce Resort, and only the most elite in the business world across the country were invited. If I dare say, this is more exclusive than the Crowing Ceremony of the Former Sultan of Maroudi, Azeez Sunusi.

Trust me when I say this, that was an event that shook the whole country.

This is better. And I'm not just saying it because I planned and oversaw the whole thing, but because it's the truth. Anyone could tell.

Rows of lavish, and sleek cars pulled up front. The flashes of camera went haywire, wanting to catch every moment that would be put on show. I don't blame them, this is an inclusive that only a few selected individuals among the press have.

After all, we couldn't allow just anyone in as the press. We carefully went through the selection process, and I personally oversaw the whole process before picking out the very best suited for everyone that will attend.

It started half an hour ago, and most of the guests had arrived already.

It was now our turn.

Two black Mercedes pulled up front, catching the attention of the paparazzi there. Instantly Cameras flashes came from all angles, as a sleek Range Rover pulled up behind those two cars. Recognizing the owner of the car, the flashes became a lot more as everyone gobbled up to get the guests' pictures.

From where I am seated, behind the heavily tinted windows, I could still see the flashes. It was that blinding. I found myself swallowing thickly, before pressing my oxblood painted lips together to calm my nerves.

One would think I'm used to this by now. I am not.

Bulky men with the physique of a bouncers stepped out of the Mercedes all suited up—the escorts. Black shades covered their eyes from the blinding flash lights—their facial expression stoic almost as if they never get joy for life.

With swift, and dominating strides, they stretched out in calculated steps to form two lines on either side of the Range Rover, to hold back anyone that would try to get close to us.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Imran turn around to look at me. For a second, I had forgotten about his existence like I've done for the past few days since I haven't seen much of him. Where he disappeared to and what he's been doing is none of my concerns.

He hadn't returned since that night, and I do not plan to reach out. I like the way it is.

Tonight is not about our barely existent marriage though. It was about putting up that 'perfect and loving couple' front as always. Truth be told, just the thought of pretending yet again makes me sick, but I suck it up as always.

"Are you ready?" His voice came—low, and raspy.

I lifted my head, my shoulders squaring as I turned my head around to meet his gaze. I then offered him a determined nod. "Let's get down to business."

One of the guards trudged over to the backseat of the car, and then opened the door. Almost immediately, the flashes became more blinding, if that's possible. The sight of a suit pants clad leg was the first to come in sight, before Imran stepped out in all his glory—rounding his car to come to where I am.

Extending his hand towards me, I carefully placed my hand in his and like the loving husband he's feigning to be, he helped me out of the car—his other hand moving to the small of my back to accompany the affectionate look with gentility that had everyone swooning. When I was in sight, I looked at him and offered him a smile, one filled with love and admiration.