The Freshman

It's two months into the first semester but it's that time of the school-year, and Jane just made the cut. She's now playing for the Women's basketball team of the Natural Science Division for the school's annual Intramurals and afterwhich, the Inter-school Biology Schools Basketball - Women's Division.

"Congratulations, girl!" Mara, her best friend greeted but with a hint of hesitation.

"Thanks!", Jane answered. "I knew I said I wanted to live a lowkey student life in college but I must admit I can't resist playing ball."

Back in High School, Jane aced everything, from sports, talent, academics and school politics. Now that she's in college, she promised herself that she'll focus on academics because she really wants to become a doctor, plus she has a family to win. Her family has been pushing her to take up nursing instead because they wanted her to follow her cousin to the US, and it's a clear fact that to become a nurse is the easiest ticket. Plus, between a doctor in the Philippines and a nurse in the US, the latter pays better. But Jane, being a visionary and a dreamer, she pushed to take up Human Biology instead as preparatory for Medicine.

Upon hearing the news of her being chosen for the team, she couldn't help but be glad and worried at the same time, worried that she might not be able to juggle them together. College is different from High School. But she thought, if she has done it in the past, I can still do it this time.

"But I heard practice is tomorrow, that's Saturday. That's our NSTP (National Service Training Program) class", Mara added looking worried. Being Jane's best friend, she knew what is at stake.

"I think they know some of us, freshmen, have NSTP class. They'll never schedule the practice at the same time", Jane argued scanning the list tacked on the cork board, trying to find the schedule of the practice to convince herself that she made the right decision. "Besides, NSTP is NSTP. It's not like a Microbiology class nor a Chemistry class".

Women's Basketball Team Practice Schedule - Saturdays, 5 to 9pm

"See, I told you. It won't be a problem."

**********

**********

NSTP class ended a bit early for the freshmen. A small chunk of students are already at the gym. Some are waiting for the cheerdance practice and some for the basketball and volleyball practice.

The Intramurals is one of the most awaited event in the campus. The college has 6 Divisions and each division will be competing against each other in the 3 major events, Basketball, Volleyball and Cheerdance Competition. In order to facilitate fairness, the Student Council scheduled the use of the gym. This first week was given to the Natural Science division where Human Biology belongs to.

Jane and Mara sat at the top of the bleachers. She convinced Mara to accompany her, though the latter never signed up for any of the major events. She just needed company because although she knows how to mingle, Jane tends to shy out at first encounters.