The Unwanted Hindrance

Jane now had a new inspiration to go to school. Everyday for her was a chance to see her not-so-mysterious girl, Janella. She was not afraid to talk to her anymore. Every chance she gets, she makes sure she makes the girl smile with a crazy small joke, and Janella would do the same. But somehow, none of them had the courage to go further, choosing to hide away how they feel for each other, choosing to remain friends.

For Jane, she was scared to know that Janella won't feel the same way. She was scared of rejection. She didn't want to go through with the rejection she felt when her father disowned her.

She was still in High School and it was her first time to know that she actually had a biological father. She went to meet him, only to find out, he didn't want to know her because she was a past he didn't want to remember. It broke her and scarred her for life.

For Janella, she was scared of hurting others, most especially her friend, Julia, who has been vocal of her feelings towards Jane. She could remember how it felt when she lost a close friend over an infatuation back in High School. She didn't want to go through that again.

It was a puppy love, a puppy crush. She and her best friend liked the same guy but the guy only like Janella. They entered into a relationship, but her best friend, after finding out, felt rejection and betrayal. She gave in to the dark. She cut off their friendship, got into multiple relationships and got pregnant at such a young age without knowing who the father was. Her life became miserable that she started taking horrible vices. She did not want to go through that again.

Two broken souls, scared of losing again. So with unspoken understanding, the two remained acquaintances.

"Hello hater!" Jane would sometimes call out when they come across each other. "Hi there, clumsy!" Janella would reply.

**********

Intramurals came fast. Jane and her team bagged the championship, which means she's going to be leading the team to the Inter-school tournament.

The cheerdance squad bagged the 1st runner up, and they still get to compete in the inter-school competition as well. However, not all of the members of the squad are Biology students, and the inters-chool competition is open only to Biology and Human Biology students. Some of the members, including Liza, Janella's sister, had to drop from the team. And in order to replace them, Biology students were compelled to join, including Janella, who replaced her sister's spot.

Janella felt a little bit awkward because unlike her sister, it was not her thing. Instead of short skirts, she wears skinny pants, instead of tank tops, she wears lose shirts. She knew how to dance just as well as her sister does but not in a cheer dance way. But Janella did not have a choice at all, their professor promised them exemption from the final examination. Janella is smart, she knew she can top her examination, but she chose to skip them, partly because she didn't want to tire herself in studying, and perhaps partly, to get to see Jane.

**********

"De Leon! Eyes on the board!" Miss Villanueva shouted at the top of her voice. Jane was about to doze off. She was too tired from last night's practice. They had to double time because the inter-school tournament is coming up and they've completely re-grouped the team since most of their former team mates were not Biology students. They are now composed of all Biology students but not all of them are that good so she had to help their coach train them all.

"Sorry Miss, I was just praying." And the class broke in laughter.

"Jane, can you still keep up?" Mara whispered. "What happened to your lowkey plan?"

Jane just gave smirk. "This tournament is going to be the last, Mara."

"Ok, so how are your preparations for the field trip tomorrow?" Miss Villanueva continued.