The First Move

Jane and Mara met with their friends at their favorite hang out place. They ordered some beer and some food.

"You've been acting strange since you arrived, what's up?" Lory asked Jane trying to break the ice.

"I guess I'm just tired juggling studies and basketball", Jane responded, but at the back of her mind, her mysterious hero hasn't left her mind, and that's what's been bothering her.

"And lovelife..." Mara added. Everyone laughed. "Did that Julia stress you out?" Mara teased.

Jane might have gone to so many dates in the past, but she's never had a real and serious relationship. As naive as it sounds, she has never felt what it was to fall seriously in love. She has had petty crushes, happy crushes, but has yet to find someone who can sweep her off her feet. She's not looking for one though, and she's not wondering just yet, but what if this could be for her?

Their hangout was a gasoline station that's like a tiny mall. It has a 24/7 convenience store, that has outdoor kiosks and gazebos for people to hangout. Inside the glass-cased store is a deli and a cafe with a pizza stall attached to it, and a mini-mart.

By day, it was a simple convenience store, but at weekend night, it turns into an outdoor party place where upgraded sports cars lineup and blast their radios, or sometimes, the store hires a DJ to play some party music, and people just party the night away.

This night was a meet up for upgraded cars. Mara's boyfriend, Paolo, is an enthusiast and is a member of GroundImage, a group of modified car enthusiasts. Some cars were already there with hoods open and some blasting party music upgraded by subwoofers. Jane and her friends were at one of the kiosks waiting for Paolo to arrive with his newly modified Honda City.

A few minutes later, Paolo arrived with his white 2012 Honda City with blue under glow and cool black spoilers. As soon as he was parked, he opened his hood exposing blue and purple interior beaming with LED lights. People started gathering and pacing back and forth looking and scanning the different cars lining up.

A while after, a midnight black-purple 1999 limited edition Mitsubishi Galant arrived and parked near the store entrance. It was not a modified one, nor a member of the group, but its simple look had sophistication in it and it had a cool sound coming out from its exhaust.

 It was not a modified one, nor a member of the group, but its simple look had sophistication in it and it had a cool sound coming out from its exhaust

A girl and a guy went out of the car. The guy approached the exhibition of cars while the girl walked inside the store. The driver, a lady one, followed inside the store.

They look familiar. Jane was studying the girls from afar but was cut off.

Paolo was introducing the new guy to the group. "Hey guys, this is Ali. His our new guy. He just arrived from the US, but he is also an enthusiast back there in the US."

Ali shook everyone's hands, they had a conversation, talking about cars, accessories, etc.

Mara grabbed Jane asking her to accompany her to the store. "I'm thirsty," Mara said, "let's grab some water or soda".