The Falling Apart

Weeks passed, it was the second month of the second semester. Julia's night schedule was starting to tire Jane out.

There were nights when Julia had to stay longer than needed because of some school work. She did not need to wait up anymore.

And one day, Julia asked to be dropped off at the mall. "Babe, please drop me off the mall. We don't have class today but we need to buy some stuff for our laboratory work tomorrow."

"Why do I need to drop you off? I can tag along with you, and keep you company. I can carry the things for you too."

"It's okay, babe. You can go home and rest. Janella and the others are there, we can manage. Oh crap! I'm out of credit balance. Can I borrow your phone, babe? I just need to inform them where to meet." Julia said grabbing Jane's phone to send a message to everyone.

They reached the mall and Julia got off. "See you at home!" and placed a kiss on her girlfriend's cheeks.

Jane drove off. For the four months they've been together, Jane realized she hasn't said I love you to Julia that much. So she grabbed her phone and was about to type a message for Julia when she saw a reply from an unknown number.

We're already here. Take care! See you!

The number was not familiar, but she has a feeling that she knows the owner of the number. So Jane started typing a reply.

I already dropped Julia at the mall. Please let me know if you're with her already. She ran out of credit balance. Thanks!

---Jane

A few seconds after, Jane received a reply.

Yep, she's here now.

---Janella

Jane couldn't understand how she was feeling. Her heart raced. So it's true! It's her number.

**********

Jane stared at her phone that night. She was alone at her apartment. Julia did not go home yet. Is she going home at all?

But all Jane could ever think about was the name on the unknown number. She started typing "J-A-N-E-L-L-A" and hit save to contacts.

A few seconds after, she received a call from Janella's number. "Babe, I'm not going home today. We'll be doing some stuff at Janella's house. Don't wait up. I might go home to my aunt's house after this since it's nearer. Bye."

Days passed by. The "I love you's" have become rare to none as well as Julia's stay at her apartment.

Jane did not know if she should be relieved but to show that she is still the girlfriend that she should be, she would often visit Julia. There are times when Julia would not allow her to go saying her aunt was home. Other times they would make out and make love.

December came and it was Christmas break. Julia flew to Mindanao to spend Christmas with her family, while Jane had to go back to Nueva Esperanza.

While apart, their communication grew less intimate. Until Jane learned that Julia's ex went to visit her at their house in Davao.

Jane did not feel anything but she felt bad how she felt more relived instead of hurt. Without anything official yet, she knew Julia and her fell apart. Jane did not bother asking Julia anymore.

Christmas came. It was a family tradition to watch MMFF movies. So Jane and her family, her parents and her siblings, Ding and Luna, drove to Cubao to see a MMFF movie. The line was long. So while waiting, Jane decided to buy some popcorn. As she was walking, she saw someone familiar.