Chapter 14

"...and have a Faz-errific day!" the intercom blared. Staring at the closest speaker, Freddy looked down at Gregory. "I have no idea why we still have those recordings," the bear animatronic rumbled, gesturing to the speaker with a jab of his thumb, "It doesn't even sound like me."

"Fazbear, you idiot, it sounds exactly like you," Monty growled as he passed by the bear and child. Flinching when a giggle sounded, the alligator animatronic whirled around and bellowed, "And why are you bringing that thing to rehearsal?!" Cradling Grace in her arms, Chica replied, "You should never leave a baby by themselves. It's very bad, they could get into something they're not supposed to."

"We LITERALLY have a daycare for that!" Monty snapped. Pushing Gregory behind him, Freddy reached out towards the gator. Swatting the bear away, Monty let out a hiss as he stormed off towards the stage for rehearsal. Sighing heavily, Freddy murmured, "Don't let him get to you Chica. You and Grace aren't doing anything wrong. Though he does have a point, Sundrop can look after her during rehearsals."

"Oh Freddy, you are such a care bear. I think it's you who shouldn't let him into your head," Chica remarked. Nuzzling Grace lovingly, she added, "I did try to get a hold of Sundrop. However, he wouldn't answer. And frankly, he's been in a bit of a mood lately." Stepping forward, Gregory asked, "Is he okay?"

"He might be stressed out by everything happening so fast. Hopefully he'll be alright by reopening day next week," Freddy reassured Gregory, patting him on the shoulder. Scratching his chin thoughtfully, the bear went on, "We've all been dealing with a lot for the past few weeks now that I think of it."

"Do you think Vanessa could watch Grace while we rehearse today?" Chica asked, ticking the little girl under her chin. "I think she would," Freddy replied, "Let's go get her. And while we're at it, maybe try and find Roxy. I haven't seen her anywhere." His arm shooting up into the air, Gregory exclaimed, "I can go look for her!"

"Excellent superstar! Meet us at the main stage in ten minutes!" Freddy instructed, patting Gregory gently on the head. With that, he walked away with Chica and Grace in tow to find Vanessa. Left alone on the balcony, Gregory thought quietly to himself. Where could Roxy be? Perhaps Roxy Raceway? No, they were just there. Maybe she was in her room in Rockstar Row? Thinking that might be it, Gregory raced for the third floor.

Arriving at Rockstar Row at last, Gregory took a glance at his watch. He had five more minutes. Running up to the rooms and passing by the giant windows for each, he was about to go to Roxy's door when he stopped. Backtracking, he peered through the window.

Laying on the couch that had been provided for her, Roxy was curled up with a plushie of herself in her arms. She wasn't in rest mode, she was just laying there, being quiet. Gregory was beginning to fear that maybe the wolf animatronic had forgotten to charge and was on low power. But then her eyes fluttered open. The kid quickly ducked down out of sight.

Staring blankly at the plushie she held in her hands, Roxy knew she had to get up. It was almost time for rehearsal, if it wasn't already. Yet she didn't feel like getting up. Well, what the heck? Who cares how she felt? Gritting her teeth, she growled under her breath, "Come on Roxanne, you are the best. You need to show them you're the best." With that, she hauled herself off the couch.

An oily tear dripped from her cheek.

Her hand going up to her cheek, Roxy walked over to her mirror. Sure enough, there was a tear streak down the right side of her face. More oily tears were threatening to fall. Quickly wiping them away, the wolf animatronic faced her mirror once more, wearing a brave face. However, her expression fell seconds later. Shuddering, Roxy turned away from her mirror. Still watching, Gregory knew he had to let her know rehearsals were about to begin. He was about to when he heard singing.

"Don't cry, snowman, not in front of me. Who'll catch your tears if you can't catch me, darling? If you can't catch me, darling," Roxy sang softly, her ears drooping to the sides of her head. Turning around to face the mirror once more, the wolf continued, "Don't cry, snowman, don't leave me this way." Tentatively reaching out, she murmured, "A puddle of water can't hold me close, baby. Can't hold me close, baby." At that moment, her clawed fingers touched the mirror.

To Gregory, he could only see Roxy touching her mirror. To Roxy however, she found herself not in her room but in a beautiful snow covered meadow untouched by man or machine. Her tail wagging, Roxy clasped her hands together as she called, "I want you to know that I'm never leaving, cuz I'm Mrs. Snow, til death we'll be freezing. Yeah, you are my home, my home for all seasons."

Something soft brushed against her face, Roxy could feel it. Tipping her head back, her eyes widened when she saw the little flurry of snowflakes that had begun falling. Smiling, the wolf animatronic spun in a circle as she belted her heart out, "So come on, let's go! Let's go below zero and hide from the sun, I love you forever where we'll have some fun. Yes, let's hit the North Pole and live happily! Please don't cry no tears now, it's Christmas, baby! My snowman and me!" Closing her eyes and stretching her arms out, the wolf howled, "My snowman and me!" At last, she opened her eyes.

Roxy found herself in her room again, her hand still on the mirror. Pulling it away in shock, the wolf animatronic held that appendage close as she stared at the mirror forlornly. Her ears drooping again, she whimpered, "Baby..." Sinking to her knees, she allowed her head to rest on her dresser. Sniffling, the wolf covered her eyes and sobbed, letting the floodgates open wide. And unfortunately all Gregory could do was watch.

"Gregory," Freddy's voice rumbled softly, causing the little boy to snap out of his thoughts. Jumping, Gregory stuttered, "Freddy, I... I found Roxy but... she..." Resting his hand on the kid's shoulder, the bear animatronic rasped, "It's okay superstar, I had a feeling Roxanne hasn't been well with this whole situation. Everyone is stressed out, some more than others." Peering through the window at the crying wolf, he continued, "Others are simply afraid."

"What is Roxy scared of?" Gregory asked. Still watching the wolf animatronic, Freddy replied quietly, "If I had to guess, being unloved. I just know she's frightened. And there's nothing wrong with that, we all get frightened about something." Gently ruffling the boy's scruffy hair, the bear mumbled, "You head on down to the main stage, I'll be right there superstar. I'm just gonna chat with Roxy a little bit."

"Okay Dad," Gregory replied, giving Freddy a hug. He didn't have to look up to know the robot was smiling. The bear was the best dad a boy could ask for, even if he was a machine. Getting up to his feet, the small boy left for the stairwell while his animatronic father went to Roxy's door. As he walked away, Gregory couldn't help but think about what Freddy had said about fear. He was right.

Everyone was scared of something.