Chapter 30

"No luck for you either?" Pedro guessed as he wheeled himself over to a bench. Arriving at the same bench, Gregory replied, "Yeah, nothing. No sign of Gracie anywhere." The boy scratched his head as he did one final scan of the lobby and mumbled, "Where could she be?"

"Maybe someone else managed to find her," Pedro murmured as he pulled out his Roxy Talkie. Turning it on, he radioed his adoptive wolf animatronic mother, "Hey Mom? Grace isn't down here in the lobby."

"Okay sweetheart! So far, I don't think anyone else has found her. Also, you might want to check Freddy up in Fazer Blast, he's offline. I think he forgot to charge again!" Roxy's voice came through. She sounded like she was out of breath. Bewildered by this, Pedro asked, "Mom, are you okay? Were you running?" A moment later, the talkie crackled with Roxy's voice, "Yeah, something urgent came up! I will explain everything after our big show tonight! I'll see you later, my rockstar." Bidding farewell, Pedro looked up at Gregory and stated, "Not to brag or anything, but I am Roxy's rockstar."

"Shoot! I forgot about the show tonight! Come on, we gotta get Freddy to a charging station!" Gregory exclaimed, having overheard the whole conversation with his own ears. Grabbing Pedro's wheelchair handles, he was about to enter the elevator when Vanessa radioed in, "Boys, I found Grace. Or rather she found me. You wanna come pick her up?" Speeding away towards the security office with Pedro, Gregory replied through his Fazwatch, "We're on our way!"

"Okay," Vanessa answered back. She was still staring at the toddler that had literally fallen into her arms. Yeah, Grace had been in the air vents this whole time and had just fallen through the ceiling vent in the security office. Thank goodness Vanessa had cat-like reflexes or else Grace would have hit the floor. Cradling the small child in her arms gently, the young security guard murmured, "You need to be more careful."

There was a knock on the door. Wow, that was fast. Opening the door, Vanessa was greeted by Gregory and Pedro. "Grace!" they both exclaimed. Handing the toddler over to the oldest boy, Vanessa leaned against the doorway as she stated in a firm voice, "Don't lose her again, got it?" Getting ready to push the wheelchair around, Gregory nodded his head in understanding and quipped, "Got it! Thank you Aunt Vanessa!"

"Aunt? Gregory, there's no one else over here. No need to pretend," Vanessa pointed out with a small chuckle. Meeting her eyes, Gregory answered, "I know. And I'm not pretending. You're a part of the family too." Vanessa had no words as she watched the kids walk away. Stepping back into the security office, she quietly shut the door behind her as she stood in the middle of the room, staring at the floor. The word family rang continuously in her head like a church bell summoning people to church. She was a part of a family again, a new family that cared about her.

"There I was again tonight, forcing laughter, faking smiles. Same old tired, lonely place," Vanessa whispered, her voice barely audible. Lifting her head to the ceiling, she continued, "Walls of insincerity, shifting eyes and vacancy, vanished when I saw your face." At that last part, the young woman peered through her window blinds just in time to see the kids catch the elevator as she spoke, "All I can say is, it was enchanting to meet you. And it was enchanting to meet you. All I can say is, I was enchanted to meet you."

Her phone dinged, another message. Checking the screen, Vanessa saw it was a text from Jerry again. Turning off the phone, she threw it into a drawer and shut it before belting out, "This night is sparkling, don't you let it go! I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home! I'll spend forever wondering if you knew that this night is flawless, don't you let it go! I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone! I'll spend forever wondering if you knew I was enchanted to meet you!"

Having been dancing around in her office, Vanessa sat down in her chair and flipped through the cameras, making sure everything and everyone was okay before the show. The kids had found Freddy in Fazer Blast and were plugging a portable charger into him. Roxy and Chica were lugging a pair of endo legs up to the former's green room. Monty and a teenager with a golf club were chatting with the Daycare Attendant at Kids Cove. The DJ was cleaning up the dance floor for the night. Map Bot was offering maps to anyone he could find. Trish and Shane were on their way to the main stage room. The show will begin soon.

"This is me praying that this was the very first page, not where the story line ends," Vanessa hummed to herself, taking her hat off a hook. Putting it on her head, her eyes drifted over towards a picture she had on a cabinet. It was a photo of her and another woman who looked like she could be her twin sister. Her fingers gently brushing against the picture frame, the young woman sang, "My thoughts will echo your name, until I see you again." Leaving the office, Vanessa continued, "These are the words I held back, as I was leaving too soon. I was enchanted to meet you..."

The hallways were already almost empty as Vanessa walked the grounds. As she got closer to where the main stage was, she could hear the band playing and the crowd cheering. The show was already part way through. Standing in front of the doors, the security guard took a deep breath and let it out slowly before entering. Immediately the noise got louder, drowning out every negative thought Vanessa had. Watching the band perform, she couldn't help but sing along, "This night is sparkling, don't you let it go! I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home! I'll spend forever wondering if you knew this night is flawless, don't you let it go! I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone! I'll spend forever wondering if you knew I was enchanted to meet you..."

"Please don't be in love with someone else, please don't have somebody waiting on you..." the animatronics concluded the song just before the audience gave out a massive applause for them.