8: The Surprise

AN: I'll not be able to update in a while so have this double update.
  The library above is from a scene in my soon to be published work, The Song Of Losers. Please check out my account to see the progress on that.

***

After forcing himself to let Bruce go, Miles had directed his focus on making some masks to pass the time and quiet the storm of emotions raging inside.

He put more thought into every stroke as the cheap plastic glided over his newest creation.

He was confused and thrilled.

Never before had he not wanted to kill a stranger. There was something about the smaller male that quieted his need for carnage by awakening something new.

He was unsurprised when screams of horror echoed through the hall just outside his door, and he sighed.

His time of quiet contemplation was over.

Sure enough, in a matter of minutes he could hear frantic footsteps, hushed voices, and eventually full blown shouting just outside his door.

Perhaps he should have moved the bodies farther away from his cell…

***

Being questioned had been a rather dull affair for him, as the officer interviewing him seemed more intimidated by him than he had been by him.

Even when he tapped out and allowed an older female officer to take his place, they got nothing.

Although it hadn’t occurred to him at the time, it had been repeatedly pointed out that the two men who’d been killed had both been on his original outdoor rotation.

He’d been left to his new yard time, and he was happy about it. He could only guess they feared that moving him again would result in more bodies, even if there was no proof he’d killed the first two.

That had been a week ago, and things had changed even more.

The news of his silent attention towards Bruce whenever they were in sight of each other had spread like wildfire amongst the other patients, and they had begun to give them both more space than before. That was good for many reasons.

Namely, because Bruce was his.

It was only after things had started to quiet down among the guards that Bruce managed to surprise him.

As he watched, the young man disappeared into the building.

Emerging a few minutes later, he cautiously looked around before quickly closing the distance between them.

Miles watched curiously. No one but the guards and a few doctors were ever bold enough to approach him, even when he was thought to be restrained.

To his even greater surprise, Bruce spoke to him. He almost sounded like there was a gun to his head as he stumbled over his words, and Miles laughed silently.

Reaching out, he allowed his fingers to brush the young man's hand as he took the water bottle from him. He would wait to drink it, but he did appreciate the offering.

Even more, he appreciated the sound of abject terror that came out of Bruce at his touch. Blinking rapidly, it looked as though his brain was shutting down and rebooting as he finally managed to say, “Oh, I- I meant- I came over here to say, th-thanks. Thank you… Um, for- for not killing me. And, you know.
Saving me, from those guys, I appreciate it.”

A guard shouted at them, and Bruce flinched. He did that a lot, Miles noticed, and he wondered what he’d been through to result in such an instinctive reaction.

Maybe someday he’d find out.

***

A/N: Miles or Benedict, who do you guys prefer, and why?