16: The Envelope

It’s been three weeks since then.

They have become far closer Miles returns earlier on some days and some nights he didn’t return home at all. Bruce found himself unable to sleep on those nights.

The police had come over three times to ransack the house but always came up empty.

After some research Bruce found out the house originally belonged to the Murphy family before the tragedy of Miles killing his older brother and father in their sleep when he was just eight years old.

How is that even possible? He wasn't even sure he wanted to know.

No matter how close they had gotten Bruce was and probably always will be afraid of Miles.

Now it was late, 8:57pm to be exact and Bruce lay strewn across hie larger man’s lap, a position he was manhandled into, having a one sided conversation, “That show we watched yesterday the protagonist, Bethany… Was that her name? Doesn’t matter, didn’t you think she was basic?”

Miles gave no answer, that was a signal for him to continue. He knew that now, if he wanted him to shut up he’d have shoved him off his lap by now. Or hit him behind the head… Whichever he felt like in that moment.

“She was so basic if you dropped her in industrial grade acid she’ll balance the pH.”

Bruce felt Miles tremble with laughter and warmth sprouted in his cheeks. Miles had laughed three times in the entire time they lived together. Once when he fell down the stairs, another at a serial killer documentary and now. He was honored to make the quiet man laugh.

His tense muscles loosened and the sound was delightfully smooth like thick yoghurt.

“I saw a joke yesterday, on the internet… I thought it was rather funny. Wanna hear it?” He said after the laughter died down.

Miles glared at him with narrowed eyes but he (foolishly) decide to continue. “The local cartoonist was found dead yesterday…” Miles’ dark eyes hardened.

“The details are sketchy.”

Bruce’s laughing form was then promptly shoved to the floor while Miles stormed off.

***

The sweet smell of freshly baked goods permeated every room in the house as Bruce cleaned, feeling bright and happy as he swept.

He had just gotten his pay on one of his bigger editing jobs so he could rest for a while now.

Being an editor was a job nowhere as fulfilling as being a physicist but the bills won’t pay themselves now, will they?

While dusting off the old grand Iano that came with the house he paused.

He placed his fingers on the key and played a quick do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do. He sat on the piano bench and sighed wistfully.

If only he could play.

After a while of staring longingly at the polished wood, wondering idly on how it was still tuned, he popped of the lid to clean the inside.

It was oddly clean… With an envelope inside.

***
Happy Friday my lovelies. I hope you're having a wonderful day. I also hope you're looking forward to my book's release.

Comment below how excited you are for it. Bye!