24: The Awakening

Bruce slowly awakened, the light hurting his eyes. He opened his eyes and groaned a flashing pain making itself known in his skull.

Fuck, he’s got a migraine, this was not good.

After swallowing painful gulps air and then subsequently falling into fits of coughs he managed to crack open an eyelid before hissing and then quickly shutting his eyes.

He ran a hand through his brown curls and noted… Sand. He also felt oddly… Breezy?

Was he naked!

Of course he was freaking naked in the middle of no where, what luck right?

He sat up and opened his eyes ignoring the splitting pain in his head. As expected he was naked, and glowing pink. Not like blushing, he was freaking glowing, like a goddamn glow stick. He guessed it was due to the radiation reacting with his blood, but he hadn’t done any solid tests to be sure.

He stood up and found his glasses tangled in his hair. Reinforced glasses, best decision he had made in his life time. After slipping his glasses on, things cleared up from the dull blur it had been.

He guessed he was somewhere in the dessert probably close to Arizona (or Texas) and there was some civilization nearby. But he couldn’t just walk into a town naked. He sighed, it was times like this he wished he could risk having a phone. He ran enough risks having a bank account, albeit one he hijacked with his near non existent hacking skills but it had less than £2 in it so he didn’t feel bad about it.

The remaining days were spent running around in the middle of the night. He managed to snatch a pair of shorts, a bright blue shirt and a red jacket from person who forgot to pack their clothes from the clothes line. It was a bit, tight but it didn’t matter.

Things were difficult without a dime to his name but he survived. At the moment he was idly nursing a complementary bottle of water the cafe he was in provided, with everything being as unstable as it is.
Like, would he eat today? Will Sergeant Ravine be right behind him the next time he goes to the mall to dine explicitly on free samples?
Where will he sleep tonight? Will he be caught the next time he pick pockets some random gentleman? In the midst of all this instability there were two frequents in his life. His constant thought about Cerin and Miles and, the news.

The first one was just wishful thinking, Miles would forget about him in a couple days, he assumed Cerin might miss him in the slightest, since they were together before the Worth Incident.

The news was an even bigger issue since the incident was still broadcasted all around the world on international stations weeks later. So many people gone, killed by the Mad Titan as he was called.

A rerun of the Worth Incident memorial played on the big screen TV in the cafe.
“ Justice for Ashley,” was written as some white flowers were placed into a giant footprint.

So much red, so much blood in his hands.

He had killed children.

He had left families homeless.

Thousand of dollars in property damage.

Fat tears trailed down his pale cheeks and fell into his hands.
He was a fu*cking monster.

One who didn’t deserve to live.

***

I hope you guys are excited for the release of my book.