Chapter 3: Away

"Virat, You will have to report tomorrow"

"Yes Sir "

"In case of delays or flight cancellation, inform me and make sure you reach there by road"

"Yes Sir, no issues. "

"All Good then "

Virat was posted to a new place where he will have to stay atleast for a month.

"Shall I call Pakhi and tell now ? Or wait till she is back from work ? "

Pakhi looked at the city skyline basking in golden light as the sun was dipping.

"Wow... I wish I could capture this as I see" she clicked a pic on her phone and walked home.

"Looks like someone is home early today " Pakhi grinned and tip toed in, all set to scare Virat a bit.

"Tadaaa... " she screamed at the top of her voice, scaring poor Virat out of his senses.

"Yaar Pakhiiiiiii "

A visibly shakened Virat didn't know what to do with this sweet little brat of his.

"Acha... sorry sorry. My baby got scared ah ? Aww.. waise , who got you into the Police force , man?
She asked grinning widely .

"Haha. Leave all that, I need to tell you something. First you, freshen up and come "

"Tell na, say now .... Yaar Virat, I can't wait. What's the surprise ? Batao naa... "

"First you have a shower , then I will say "

"Arrgh... okkkk.... "

  Pakhi got into the bathroom only to peep out from the door
"Please tell na "

"Pakhi... no. No means no "

"Okkk , don't say then " she gave an angry look and went inside.

He packed his bags meanwhile and thought of how times changed. He was someone who used to be excited about out of station postings and here he is , not really wanting to go away from his wife.

"Here I am ... fresh as daisy. Now, tell me  what ails you my Prince? "
"Now you are going to tell , or shall I arrange for trumpets,and dhols for you to announce , dear Prince of our Apartment ? ?"

He laughed

"Woh kya hai na Pakhi, I.. I am posted at this new place and I need to report tomorrow. Which means I will have to leave tonight.... "

She looked at him and then looked around. She could see the bags being packed and ready. Hmm... So he isn't jocking .

"How long will it take ? "

"A month .. or so " he said gauging her reaction.

Her smile disappeared and all the playfulness too. He could see her lips quivering, eyes tearing up...

"Pakhiiii... "

"Nahii... mein aap ko jaane nahi doongi... I won't let you go "

"What are you even saying baby", listen... it's not like I am happy to go, but its duty. There can't be excuses " . He said cupping her face.

"How can you go like that ... mein nahi rah sakti tumhare bina... that too for a month.. no ! "

"Yaar Pakhi... now don't make this difficult for me. I already don't feel like going and now seeing you like this , its getting difficult for me " he sighed holding her hands.

"Nahii... I don't want to hear anything " she said covering her eyes with her hands and sobbing.

He held on to her hands and said "pakhi... please aise ro mat . Don't cry.. see ... I ... I ... "