Chapter -7 Together

"So jaao Pakhi.... "

"Hmm... tum so jaao... you look so weak. "

"I am ok now. But, yes. Tired. Let's sleep "

"I have to rephrase an article. Tu so jaana "

"Article baad mein edit kar lena yaar.. I am not going to sleep without you "

Pakhi looked at an adamant Virat. It's rare that he behaves stubborn, but once he is,  he won't budge .

"Ok baaba... let's sleep" she said , pulling the blanket over him.

He cuddled close to her. She placed her hand on his chest and tapped slowly

" you become a little kid when you are not well, Virat " she smiled looking at him all curled up in the blanket.

"Of course I am little Viru today, Basanti ". He said holding her hand around his neck.

"Ahahaha.... bachoo, let me read out a bed time story for you then. What do you prefer , Ghosts? or a witches ?? "

He laughed and pulled her cheeks

"Don't call any of them . This Prince is happy with his Princess. And he won't let any one attack their kingdom. But, for now the Prince is sleepy and he demands that the Princess sleeps too "

He pulled the blanket over them and thought to himself
" I know how hurt you are... the wound is too fresh to be reminded again. So jaana yaar, don't think about those trolls. we will face it together. whatever that hits you, I am here to shield you"

An hour later, Pakhi could hear Virat snoring a bit.  She hadn't slept at all. She checked his temperature and sat up. The medications made sure he slept slightly sedated.

For the first time in her life, she checked her phone with fear. She went through the comments under her profile. In a day's time, they were full of hate. Some of the comments were so filthy that she couldn't finish reading them... a helpless cry escaped her throat , but then she covered her mouth so that Virat won't hear.

Online media portals had published news stories against him. She was full of rage reading the articles which vowed that he was drunk.

"Disgusting!! How can people be so cruel ? " she won't let this affect his career, and she was sure about it. If needed she will upload a post explaining their truth.

Virat got an early morning call from his Senior asking him to report early and give an explanation to the entire fiasco.

He sat up on the bed and looked at Pakhi. She was asleep with her back against the head rest and her phone still in her lap. He could see streaks of tears dried up in her cheeks.

"I won't let you suffer alone, Pakhi. Vaada hai mera "

He freshened up and went to the office after leaving a voice note for Pakhi.

"How do you explain this , Officer ?"
The Senior looked with disgust in his eyes as he spoke to Virat.

He had never seen anyone look at him like that . Being so true to his profession and giving more than his 100 percent, no one ever had a reason to complain ... well, until yesterday. Today , it wasn't the case. He was all of a sudden a topic of discussion. His commitment to his profession , his personal life all were out there for anyone to slander.

Virat had a look at one of those online portals the Officer asked him to see. It had his and Pakhi 's pic inside the police jeep.

"Sir, I can explain. I was unwell and she was just taking care of me. She had no one there to manage the situation. I have my medical reports with me. I will get it submitted " and Sir, you know me... I don't drink. "