Chapter 5: A Skewed Sense of Danger

[A/N: Thank you to Calamity Owl and Darsynia for beta-reading this chapter!]

They got up a little earlier the next morning, and, after a quick breakfast, sat down to plan out their first potential combat operation related to Hermione's situation, which Sirius named "Operation: Nick the Knickers."

The rest of them vetoed that name.

The plan was straightforward: leave Hermione and her beacon home, take the Knight Bus in, ensure the property was safe, and have Dobby (who was younger and more capable of literal heavy lifting than Kreacher) bring all of Hermione's things to the spare bedroom on the second floor. The only complicating factor was that Harry hadn't yet had an opportunity to explain house elves to Hermione yet and she had some concerns on that front.

"Let me get this straight," she said. "This is a magical being who does anything you want him to without pay?"

"Kind of," Harry said. "Hogwarts pays him and he won't accept more money from me."

"How is he not a slave?"

"He isn't anymore," Harry said. "I tricked a nasty wizarding family into freeing him."

"Do you pay him?" Hermione asked.

"I've tried," Harry said. "You have no idea how much I've tried. Do you want to try?"

"Yes," she said firmly. After a moment, she added, "I'm going to regret this, aren't I?"

"Yes," all three of the men said simultaneously.

"Dobby?" Harry called out.

A house elf wearing a pair of bright turquoise shorts, a threadbare crimson jumper at least two sizes too big, and big, floppy socks in different patterns of bright plaid popped up in front of Harry on the couch. "Great wizard Harry Potter called Dobby!" he said. "How can Dobby help?"

"Dobby, this is my friend Hermione," Harry said. "She would like to ask you something."

"Hello valiant and bold Harry Potter's friend My-knee!"

She blinked, then took a deep breath and forged ahead. "Dobby, I need your help with something. How much can I pay you?"

"Oh, noes, Harry Potter's friend My-knee!" Dobby shook his head violently. "Dobby is already making too much money at Hoggy-warts. One whole galleon a week."

"But that's only...nevermind," Hermione said. "What else can I give you, then? Would you like food or jewellery or something?"

Dobby shook his head again, then paused thoughtfully. "Is one thing, Miss My-knee, if yous don't mind."

"Not at all," she said. "What would you like?"

"Dobby gets bored at Hoggy-warts sometimes. Too many other elves there working, and great Harry Potter sir does all of his own cooking." Dobby said that last part with just a hint of disapproval in his tone. "Dobby would really like it if you found more work for him. Maybe convince wise and strong Harry Potter to make some little wizards and witches? Those cause lots of work. Then Dobby would never, ever be bored."

Hermione blushed bright red and tried to ignore the coughing fits seizing the men around her. "I'll...um...bring it up with him," she said.

"Thank you thank you!" Dobby bounced excitedly as he spoke.

"I'm glad," Harry said, "that you'll be willing to help us. You can go back to what you were doing now, and we'll call you in a little while when we're ready."