Chapter 15: What We Are

[A/N: Thank you to Calamity Owl for beta-reading this chapter!]

Hermione gave up studying when she realised she'd read the same description of the Softening Charm four times without absorbing a word. So, when Remus jumped out of the floo just after eleven that night, he found her pacing only a few steps away.

"What's wrong?" she asked. "How's Harry? Did he find the serial killer? Is he alright? Harry, I mean. I don't give a toss about-"

She stopped when Remus threw his arms around her and hugged the life out of her. "Thank you," he said. "St. Mungo's said he might have died tonight without you."

Hermione's voice very nearly failed her, but she still managed to croak out a "What?"

"Your potion." Remus released her so he could look her in the eyes. "Aurors don't usually carry Wiggenweld because a Dark Wizard would have to be a special combination of skilled and stupid to use an Ennervating Curse in a fight, but unfortunately Marcus Flint fit that bill. There's a good chance Harry would be dead right now if you hadn't insisted he take the last vial of Wiggenweld Potion you made."

"Oh, God," she said as she fell to her knees. "Oh God, oh God, oh God."

"Breathe." Remus knelt in front of her and put his hands on her shoulders. "He's fine. They're just holding him overnight for observation."

"It's not that," Hermione said. "I...I spilt some when I put it in a vial for Professor Tonks. If I'd spilt more...Harry might...he might..."

"You didn't, though," Remus said. "You didn't, and he's fine. Would you like to see him?"

She nodded.

"Alright. Dobby?" Remus called.

The quirky house elf popped up right next to him. "Great Harry Potter sir's Uncle Wolfy called Dobby?"

Despite herself, Hermione had to fight down a giggle.

"Yes," Remus said. "I'm afraid Harry's in St. Mungo's."

"Again?" Dobby asked. "Harry Potter sir is valiant and bold, but Dobby sometimes worries Harry Potter overdoes those." A grimace overtook his face and he grabbed his ears. "No, no, Dobby must not question great and wise Harry Potter."

"Dobby!" Remus said sternly. "You know what Harry said about punishing yourself."

The elf released his ears and looked oddly depressed about it. "Fine, Dobby not punish himself."

"Thank you," Remus said. "Now, I'm going to floo back to St. Mungo's. When I call you, it will be safe for you to come and bring Hermione. Can you do that?"

Dobby nodded excitedly. "Dobby would love to bring bold and strong Harry Potter sir his My-knee."

Hermione had a bad feeling she started blushing at that, but decided to ignore it in the hopes it would go away.

"Thank you." Remus rose to his feet. "I'll call you as soon as I can."

After Remus left, Hermione pushed herself to her feet and turned to Dobby. "Why were you trying to punish yourself?" she asked.

"House elveses shouldn't question their masters," Dobby said. "Bad old masters made Dobby iron his ears or do other things when he did that, but benevolent Harry Potter sir told Dobby not to."

"Iron your ears?" Hermione said. "That's awful!"

"The Malfoys is awful wizards," Dobby said. "They be thinking all muggle-born witches and wizards is filthy and stupid. They do lots of bad things but pay lots of money to not get caught."