Chapter 19: Keeping Warm

[A/N: Thank you to Calamity Owl for beta-reading this chapter!]

The falling snow dampened the sounds of the city around them, and for the first couple of blocks around Harry's house, they felt like they had the whole city to themselves. Unfortunately, the crowded A501 quickly punctured that balloon, but it was nice for a moment. By the time they arrived at Grimmauld Place, both of their cheeks were once again flushed from the cold and snow speckled their hair. The sight was enough to make Harry pause.

"Harry?" Hermione asked. "What-"

He silenced her with a passionate kiss. "You," he said they finished kissing approximately one full minute later, "look absolutely beautiful. I couldn't help myself."

She blinked, both out of confusion and a general daze from the kiss. "Me?"

"Of course." He offered her his arm again. "Who else?"

Hermione didn't respond verbally, but instead took his arm and lay her head against it for the last half-block or so of walking.

They didn't have to wait long at Sirius's door in the cold, since he threw it open almost immediately after Harry's knock. "Perfect timing, Pup!" he said. "I just came down to see if you were here yet." He gave Harry a huge hug, followed immediately by one for Hermione.

"It's been a busy morning," Harry said as Sirius ushered them inside. "How are things here?"

"The usual," Sirius said. "Remus and Kreacher are arguing about who gets to cook what in the kitchen, so I'm staying out of it and sipping mulled wine in the sitting room." He looked at Hermione. "And before you ask, 'Isn't it a bit early to be drinking?', the answer is 'no.'"

"I wasn't going to ask that," Hermione said.

Harry raised his eyebrows at her. "Yes, you were."

"Yes, I was." Hermione sighed. "You people have been a terrible influence on me."

Sirius beamed. "Haven't we just? You know, some mulled wine will help with that."

Now it was Hermione's turn to raise her eyebrows. "Will it, now?"

"Absolutely. Our terrible influence won't bother you nearly as much."

She thought about it for a moment. "You're not wrong," she said.

"That's good enough for me," Harry said. "Mulled wine for two, please."

"Coming right up," Sirius said. A few minutes later saw them sitting comfortably in the sitting room upstairs sipping on mulled wine.

"This is delicious," Hermione said. "Thank you. I'll need to pace myself or I'll be unconscious by suppertime, though."

"It's an old family recipe Kreacher knows," Sirius said. "I hated it when I was younger, but once I realised he was urinating in it I made him stop and stick to the recipe."

Hermione spit out her wine.

"He's just messing with you," Harry said as he drew his wand. "Tergeo," he said, and the wine vanished from the carpet. "Probably. Like I said before, just don't ask."

"And the best way not to think about something," Sirius said, "is more wine."

"I'm OK for now." Hermione eyed her glass warily.

Harry shrugged. "I wouldn't mind some more."

Remus came in just as Sirius was refilling Harry's cup. "Happy Christmas Eve," he said. "Do you all like the wine?" He had bags under his eyes but still seemed genuinely excited that they were there.