Chapter 28: Scotch Whisky and Dobby's Ice Cream

[A/N: Everybody, strap in. It's going to be a bumpy ride. As always, thank you to Calamity Owl for beta-reading this chapter.]

~~~~

The grandfather clock in the sitting room was still striking 5:00 when Harry's floo turned green and a blonde witch came hurtling out of it and right into Harry's arms. "It's good to see you, Luna," he said as he lifted her up and put her on her feet.

"It's good to see you, too," Luna said. "I like coming over here much better when you're here to catch me."

Hermione, who was holding Harry's firewhiskey for him as well as a barely alcoholic limoncello cocktail of her own, frowned and looked thoughtfully at Luna. "That's a blow to Harry's theory about Purebloods having stronger inner ears, then," she said.

"Not at all," Luna said as a broad-shouldered, swarthy man with short, curly hair stepped out of the floo. "I can travel nearly as well as Rolf here, but I much prefer spinning and tumbling around. It's like a muggle amusement park ride that takes me to see my friends."

Hermione blinked and took a sip of her cocktail.

Rolf laughed and kissed Luna's forehead. "I've never heard the floo described like that before, but now I don't think I can think of it any other way." He shook Harry's hand and turned to Hermione. "I'm honoured to finally meet you in person, Miss Granger. Luna told me about your situation and your determination does you great credit. I understand that you're not going to try for an O.W.L. in Care for Magical Creatures, but if there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know."

"Thank you, Mr. Scamander," Hermione replied. "Please call me Hermione. Your wife has been a tremendous help since I met her and even Headmistress McGonagall commented on how much my Transfiguration has improved."

"Rolf, please," Rolf said. "And I'm not surprised. Luna is an exceptionally talented witch."

The floo flared green again and Nev stepped out. "Hello!" he said as he dusted himself off a bit before turning and offering a hand to Sue as she came through.

"Thank you for inviting us," Sue said. "This is-"

Luna lunged at the larger woman and pulled her into a hug. "Oh, Sue, I'm so happy you listened to Hermione. I was worried about you." She reached out and pulled Nev into the hug, too.

Sue and Nev hugged her back. "Thanks, Luna," Sue said. "Even if the two of you are going to be insufferable now, I still thank you."

"Insufferable?" Hermione asked.

Nev looked down at the floor. "Um...even though she's feeling a bit better now, Sue and I decided she would stay at Longbottom Manor indefinitely."

"I have no need to be insufferable about that," Hermione said, raising her nose into the air and speaking extra-poshly. "Should I be insufferable about predicting the sunrise tomorrow or that the twin inevitabilities of death and taxes will come for us all?"

"And she's modest, too," Harry deadpanned, and everyone burst out laughing.

Dobby popped up into the middle of the room, quieting the laughter. "Great Harry Potter sir's guests should be coming downstairs to the dining room now," he said. "First course is plated and ready."

"Thank you," Harry said.

"You's welcome." The elf rubbed his hands together excitedly. "Dobby is going to be exhausted tonight!" he said, and disappeared again.

Rolf scratched his head and stared at the empty space where Dobby had been. "I am deeply conflicted about this," he said.

"Welcome to my life." Hermione sighed and took another drink.