The Long Woken Night

"Still can't sleep?" Jennifer said, approaching me with a mug of warm milk. I sat up with a sigh and looked at her, shaking my head in disappointment. "You can't keep letting this happen, this is the fourth time this week. You need to speak with your doctor about this." She said while handing me the mug. "So she can hand me pills? Hell no. I'll manage." I said before taking a sip of the milk. Jennifer frowned and sat next to me on the bed, rubbing my back. "I know you're worried but I really think I'll be fine." She sighed and laid her head on my shoulder. "Sometimes you can't rely on that mentality, Elijah. Not everything can be fixed on it's own. You have to be the one to fix it." I looked down at the milk, looking at the bubbles at were as if the milk had a ring around it. I stared at them in silence for about a minute before putting the mug on the nightstand. "What's wrong? You've only took one sip." She asked as she looked at me in confusion. I turned to her and smiled a bit as she looked at me with her face showing a look of suspicion. "I know you can't sleep very well when you worry, so why don't you stay up tonight with me?" I asked. "I-I'm not sure if I can, I do have an early shift in the morning.." She said while looking down. I lifted her chin up a little, not giving up my smile. "It's up to you my love." I replied as I moved my hand up to her cheek. She smiled back and chuckles as she kissed me. "Alright, fine, but under two conditions." I sighed and shook my head. "Fine, I'll go to the doctors." She gave me a look that I know she means that there's more to it. "And I'll let you pick the movie this time." I said with another sigh. She squealed and hugged my tightly out of excitement before hopping out of bed. "Might want to be quiet or you'll wake up Lana." I said with a chuckle. "Oh hush, you know you love seeing me this way." She said as she put her coziest sweater on. She blew me a kiss before heading to the living room. I rolled my eyes and got out of bed, putting a t-shirt on before leaving the room. I looked at the wall full of memories and pictures, only one of them catching my eye. It was from our wedding day. Jennifer had cake frosting on her nose and was giving an Eskimo kiss on my cheek which smeared the frosting from her nose onto me. She made her own wedding dress. It was as graceful as snow. I'm lucky I married such a talented woman. I walked over to the living room and saw that Jennifer was still searching for a movie to watch. I slowly crept towards her before I hugged her from behind. She got startled and looked at me. "Don't do that!" She said with a chuckle. I kissed her neck before letting her go and sitting on the couch. She soon picked a movie and finally came over to the couch. She laid on my lap and turned her head to the TV. I looked down and started to run my fingers through her soft, red hair. This is small detail is what she loves the most, it calms her when she's stressed or makes her feel comfortable. I love this woman and I wish I can give her the world. She looked up at me as I continued running my fingers through her hair. "You're not paying attention to the movie." She said. "I have something else I rather give attention to." I said flirtatiously. She turned into a flustered mess and covered her face. I chuckled and watched as she slowly removed her hands from her face. "There's my beautiful wife again. She disappeared for a second." I said. "Oh hush." She said while giggling. After a few flirts and jokes we made, Lana, our daughter, came into the living room. Me and Jennifer both looked at her, both questioning the same thing. "Sweetie? What are you doing up so late?" Jennifer asked as she sat up. Lana is thirteen but since she is in middle school, we gave her a bedtime on weekdays. Something that never worked for me. "I couldn't fall asleep. No matter how hard I tried to." Lana said, looking very guilty and sounding as well. I got up and went over to her, placing my hand on her shoulder. "Well.. Like father like daughter. Why don't you join us?" I offered. Lana smiled and nodded before going over to the couch and sitting down. I went back to sit down until I saw Kip looking at Lana's hair. "Mi amor, the brush please." She said. I nodded and left to the bathroom. In the bathroom, I noticed an unfamiliar light that came from outside of the window. I removed the curtains and looked outside but immediately, the light was gone. I felt, watched. Now leaving the room with the brush, I returned to the living room, handing the brush to Jennifer. I wasn't able to shake the feeling of being watched so I just left to my room. "Elijah..?" She asked worryingly but I had already left. I closed the bedroom door behind me and went over to the bed to lay down. I stared at the wall for what felt hours. I've never felt this overwhelmed ever in my life.