The Camp

Secluded camp in the Middle East, 1am

??? perspective

You looked down at your watch, sighing as you saw there was another five hours left on sentry duty. You'd been camped on the edge of the desert for three months now, and you still have no idea what you are even doing out here. Every now and then your squad or one of the other three with you here would be given a mission to go and acquire some data or files from a nearby location, other times you were told to capture someone for interrogation. You didn't know what the purpose of these missions were for exactly, but the higher-ups likely had their reasons, and you knew better than to ask. Still, local resistance was minimal, and most people around here posed little threat to four squads of highly trained and well-armed insurgents.

'Certainly makes 'liberating' supplies for us easier' you chuckled. The hardest fight you had in the past three months was assaulting a police station, but that was not saying much. Those local militia clearly had no actual combat experience, mostly used to dealing with drunks and delinquents. Not soldiers. Hell, this was the easiest deployment you have had since you joined up.

About time to check in with my squad, you thought.

'Theta 2, this is Theta 1, check in' you said into your mic.

'This is Theta 2, check. Nothing to report' came the reply over the headset.

'Theta 3, check in.'

'Theta 3 checking in, all quiet here.'

'Theta 4, check in.'

Nothing

'I repeat: Theta 4. This is Theta 1. Check in now.'

Still, no reply came in.

Shit

'Theta 3, do you have eyes on Theta 4?'

No reply.

What the hell is going on?

'Theta 5 and 6, come in!' You were starting to get concerned now, as no reply from them came either.

'Theta 2, we have a possible hostile in the perimeter, regroup on me, I'm raising the alarm'

'Confirmed Theta 1, mov-,' the reply suddenly cut off and was replaced by a faint gurgling sound.

Fuck! I need to get to the alarm now!

You barely made it five paces across from your position before you fell to the ground and saw your blood painting the sand a deep crimson shade as your vision faded away.