The Operative

Quick A/N. This is my first time writing something like this, so apologies if it is a bit iffy in places. If you have any ideas on how I could improve please do leave something in the comments. Enjoy!

Three days later

Rainbow HQ, Hereford Base, 2pm

Six, better known as Harry, looked through the report sitting in front of him with weary eyes.

'Same as before.' A grizzled man sitting across from him said. 'Camp of insurgents eliminated. No survivors, witnesses or DNA present other than that of the dead soldiers. Data banks at the site were wiped clean, and no useful information was recovered by our operators. We were beaten to it, again. This is the third time in the past two weeks an insurgent camp has been cleared like this. They must be connected.'

'I do believe you are correct Sam. This cannot be a coincidence; the methods are too similar.' Harry replied. 'But whoever is doing this is clearly dangerous, and they know how to cover their tracks. We should proceed carefully.'

'Do you think they know about the possible connection between the insurgents and the white mask terrorists?' Sam said.

'We must assume that they do. This disruption to our operation cannot be allowed to continue. For now, our primary goal is to locate and capture this rogue operative, if indeed it is one person, and find out what they know.'

'Understood.' Sam made to leave and then noticed something on the report. 'Harry, this is composition of the bullets that were found in the insurgents' bodies, correct?'

'Yes, quite an interesting mix if I do say so myself. We assume them to be a standard casing with a custom-made payload which appears to have a much higher armour piercing potential than standard rounds. Due to this we couldn't track down a possible supplier of this ammunition. Why do you ask?'

'I've seen this configuration once before. Earlier this year there were incidents of entire gangs and drug cartels being eliminated in different parts of the world. Most of the investigation into those were handled by the country authorities so we didn't hear much about it, but I had a look at the reports out of curiosity and the ammunition was the same used there as it is here.'

'That is... worrying.' Harry replied. 'I'll get on the line to the FBI and CIA to see if they have any files on events matching this description. Tell the rest of the squad to watch themselves out there. This has the potential for trouble.'

Cafeteria, Rainbow HQ

'Hey Ryad, you were on that mission to locate that insurgent camp, weren't you? I heard some weird shit went down there.' Said Elias, known as 'Blitz ', on field.

'Si, when we got there all the hostiles were already dead. Bodies still warm as well. Their weapons had not been fired, so they were clearly taken by surprise. Twenty-six dead in total, with six seemingly killed when they were on sentry duty and the rest killed during their sleep. Cameras had been disabled and the alarm was never sounded. Some had their throat slit, others were shot through the head or chest. Never seen anything like it.' Ryad, aka 'Jackal' replied. 'No trace of whoever killed them, not even tracks left in the sand.'

'Sounds similar as the mission I had last week.' A blonde woman sitting nearby called Monika, aka 'IQ', said. 'Compound in Egypt we were meant to raid had been cleaned out the same way you describe. No survivors, nothing.'

She was suddenly interrupted by a voice ringing out on the intercom.

'Can operators Twitch, Thermite, Buck, IQ, Lion and Tachanka please report to the briefing room now'

'I suppose that's my cue. See you around.' Monika said.

'Good hunting,' said Elias.

Briefing Room, Rainbow HQ

'Alright people new intel just came in. We have word on a possible deal between the insurgents and the white masks at this abandoned military emplacement near the border of Iraq. This is all the intel we could gather on the geography and layout of the location. There is a chance that this is a trap, but we cannot afford to pass this potential opportunity. Also, we may meet our new 'friend' there as well, so we need to move fast and get there before they do. Thermite, you are the operator in charge of this mission, so you decide the plan. You deploy in three hours. All the information you need is here. Good luck.' Harry said.

'Okay, schematics show two corridors from the entryway that wrap around and enter from either side of a central courtyard, which then leads to the main compound. There is also a stairwell in the courtyard leading to a second floor above the corridors which has a door on each side leading to the main compound. These schematics are quite outdated though, so be prepared for potential changes. We will go in with two teams of three sweeping through each corridor, then we meet up in the courtyard and move to the second floor, and breach through the doors there. Courtyard is too exposed for entry and there are windows overlooking the courtyard from the compound. Windows appear to be barred so rappelling is not an option. Understood?' Said Jordan, aka Thermite.

The rest of the team nodded.

'Excellent, memorize the schematics and see you at the designated time.'