[0.51]

"Why didn't you tell me about the proposition being broken sooner?" I ask softly as I stare into Jungwon's eyes, that flash that familiar shade of purple.

It's the day before the annual masquerade ball in celebration of the late queen's birthday. Jungwon and I stand underneath the grand chandelier in the ballroom as the sound of faint music plays in the vast room.

The chandelier has been replaced, since the last time I was in this room it was shot down and shattered into a million pieces, scattered across the floor like a sea of diamonds.

Jungwon has his hand placed gently around my waist as one of mine is draped around his shoulders. Our other hands are connected together as we sway around lazily.

We initially started the day by helping out the hired decorators for the event- Jungwon even sneaking out of his royal duties to do so.

The entire castle has been decorated for the event, including the grand staircase at the entrance, and even the corridors and hallways as well. Almost everywhere you look, you'll find purple banners lined with gold— representing Queen Eunjoo's favorite color, as well as purple—to represent Wimborne.

You may even find grand bouquets of flowers presented around sparsely, for Eunjoo was well-known for her love of gardening and flowers. In fact, most of the flowers in the garden are planted by her hands herself.

After hours upon hours of climbing up and down ladders to hang up ribbons and banners, along with setting up tables where the food will be placed the next day in the main ballroom, Jungwon and I decided a little break won't do any harm.

My feet may be killing me, but it's not like I'm going to just reject a dance from Jungwon.

"I didn't want to make you worry any more than you already were. You already feared the proposition would be broken, I couldn't let you worry even greater if you knew it was true." Jungwon responds just as softly, gently resting his forehead against my own as he stares deeply into my eyes.

I hum and let out a slow sigh, shutting my eyes closed as I purse my lips in thought. "I don't know if I should feel upset about that or not." I frown, leaning my body closer to his own.

There's a comfortable silence in the space between us, before I feel Jungwon plant his soft lips against my own.

We unknowingly stop our soft swaying movements to focus on our conjoined lips instead. I curl my fingers around the hair at the base of Jungwon's neck as our lips move ever so gently against each other.

It's been a few days since the two of us briefly forgave each other for our wrongdoings, and Jungwon has been stuck to my side like glue. It's as if he's scared I could disappear at any moment if I'm not in his sight. He has also become more affectionate. There's always one of his hands placed on me, a gentle reassurance that he's right beside me.

When Jungwon pulls back from our lingering kiss, he immediately places his soft lips against my closed eyelids, giving them each a tender peck before I flutter them open with a soft smile.

"You have every right to feel upset about it. I didn't tell you the truth in hopes it would keep you safe," he confesses, a sincere look shining in his eyes. "I should've just told you the truth.. maybe you wouldn't have gotten kidnapped, then."

"I'm sorry," I suddenly blurt out, a frown etched onto my face. "I was stupid and dumb to follow the unknown voice.. but even if you told me the truth, I think I still would have found a way to get to you. I can't just leave you knowing that you're in danger.."

I look down as a mix of guilt and shame washes over me. Even though it was an incredibly stupid and irrational decision to follow the portal, there's still this voice deep inside me shouting that there's no regret. Perhaps I'm too selfish.