Prologue: The Beginning of the Cabinet.

You don't remember how exactly it happened.

Nor why.

But you do know one thing:

Suddenly, there was a filing cabinet in your head, and it was hard to remember important things.

*----------

"(Y/N)? (Y/N)! Where is your math homework? Did you forget it again young (man/woman/insert gender)?! This is unacceptable behavior!" Your second grade teacher scolds you, crossing their arms over their chest and staring you down. You wince and look down, guilty.

"I-I don't know where I put it..." You mumble, frantically looking through your backpack and whimpering quietly. As you look through you close your eyes, and the image of a filing cabinet comes to mind. You open it to find your math homework as it was, fully completed and mostly incorrect. You pull it out of the filing cabinet, and...

When you open your eyes, your math homework is right in your hands. It's obvious the teacher didn't see what happened, so you quickly stand back up while holding your homework. "I found it! I found it! Here!"

*----------

"Hey, (Y/N), where are my car keys?" (Friend/Name) calls out to you, leaning against the doorframe. You shrug before fishing through your bag...or pretending to, at least.

Man, you really hope (F/N) doesn't suddenly find their car keys. Then you wouldn't be able to explain the perfect replica you're about to give them.

Filing cabinet time.

You focus really hard, and the filing cabinet comes into view. It's a lot more sizable than when you were in second grade, but it's not too big. The main addition was the drawer labeled 'Objects'.

You open the drawer and rummage through it before finding your friend's car keys. You close your eyes and focus really hard, and when you open your eyes (F/N)'s car keys are in the palm of your hand. Nice.

"Found 'em. Stop giving them to me, you know I'm not good at keeping track of them." You say, tossing the car keys to (F/N). (F/N) shrugs before turning to leave.

"Well, you didn't lose them. You haven't lost them, so I don't really understand what you mean." (F/N) says while raising an eyebrow, giving you a curious look.

Shit.

You fumble for words. Oops. Didn't mean to accidentally tell your friend that those keys technically aren't actually theirs.

"Well, you know how I am! I constantly lose all of my stuff, y'know-?" You say quickly, chuckling and shrugging it off like it was a joke. "I'm just worried that I'll lose something of yours one day!"

Your friend pauses in the doorway, probably scrutinizing what you said. You're internally screaming at yourself for slipping up in the first place.

...

"Fair. Anyway, I'm off. Cya later." (F/N) shrugs as well before fully turning away and leaving, waving as they go. You wave back before immediately collapsing on your chair and scolding yourself for getting careless again.

*----------

Your head was hurting again. This was the third time this week, but you played it off as sleep deprivation because you were trying to finish your homework all at once at 3 AM. Your professors would be pissed off if they knew you were sacrificing your sleep (because you had a terrible sleeping schedule and bad time management), but they weren't here right now, were they?

You forgot...nearly everything in AP Bio. Again.

You groan and stare at the biology homework again, practically slicing the paper open with how much force you're applying to the pencil to write. How do you keep forgetting this stuff???