Chapter 15: The Jedi

Word Count: 4,160
*EDITED*

"Corvus, this is the place."

The planet was dull and dreary, like it had undergone a vast forest fire. Trees were dying and bare boned. The soil beneath their feet crunched like crispy leaves, looking dark and infertile. Above them, the sky remained in a constant state of twilight. "This planet looks like the embodiment of depression."

"I've detected a beacon."

Beside him, the child strode up, enthralled by the joystick ball. "What did I say about that? This needs to stay in the ship." Din confiscated the ball and tucked it into a pouch on his utility belt. Whining, the child dropped his ears but perked up again as he was hoisted into the bag around Elodie's shoulders. "Let's head into town. See if we can pick up a lead."

The gated community had high fortified walls and heavily armed guards stationed at each post. One came down to 'welcome' them as they approached the gates. "State your business."

"Been tracking for a few days. Looking for a layover." Din said. These people were reserved- defensive. Elodie understood what Din was doing. Lying by omission. There was no reason for them to disclose their mission of finding the Jedi. The man gave Din a once-over and said, "Nice armour. You hunters, then?"

"That's right."

"Guild?" He asked.

"Last I checked." The soldier beside him spoke to him discretely, in a language neither of them recognized. He took a moment, then yelled to the guards over his shoulder. "Open the gate."

The inside of the gated community was no better than the outside. The people were obviously poor and kept to themselves. Little market stalls were set up outside their homes to earn an income. People ducked away from Elodie and the Mandalorian while they strolled through the town, and no one would bother making eye contact either.

"Pardon me, vendor, have you heard of anyone..." The woman walked straight into her dwelling. Like opposing magnets, when they advanced towards someone, they would shy away.

The two cast a suspicious look at one another and saw a man helping children in an alley. He shooed them away as the pair came closer. The Mandalorian spoke out to the man, "You there. I need some information. I'm looking for someone."

Finally, one man stepped forward, his eyes darting around. "Please do not speak to them or to any of us." He was scared.

"We just need help." The man went to say something but backed away when a guard came up from behind them. The two looked at the guard as he sent a stern look at the cowering man.

"The magistrate wants to see you."

The guards led them to another segregated part of the community. Outside the gates were contraptions imprisoning people— electric cuffs around their necks. Pain was written over their faces, and they could do nothing but watch. Elodie slowed her pace, titling her head to look up at the people in sympathy. It reminded her of the collar during her imprisonment.

"Help us." A woman pleaded.

"She'll kill us all."

The Mandalorian places a hand on the small of the Wolven's back to encourage her to keep walking. The two did not make any acknowledgements of the pleas of the prisoners. Past the gates, a woman stood admiring a lavish garden with blooming plants and the running water of a pond. It took no genius to figure out that this was where the money was being filtered in order to keep the people of the community in obedience.

It seemed she was expecting their arrival. "Come forward. You are a Mandalorian?"

"Yes." Din resorted back to his Mandalorian bounty hunter persona, the kind that said little and asked even less. He was the one who struck fear in bounties and ensured all his jobs were completed. In his experience, the less he said, the more others would expose. He maintained his stature, and coldness seeped into his words.