Chapter 28: The Spies (Part 1)

Word Count: 5,164
MATURE THEMES AHEAD

The Imperial cruiser eclipsed the city of Nevarro in an overbearing shadow. Starships flanking the battleship alluded to an imminent invasion of the city, but the markings of a Mythosaur tattooed onto the bottom gave away the true ownership of the Mandalorian fleet.

The Gauntlet flew ahead of the fleet to navigate the molten terrain of the volcanic lava flats. Many citizens of the city and the covert came to gaze up at the sight. Bo-Katan's fleet was both impressive and disturbing.

Inside, Grogu had elected to sit on Bo-Katan's lap as she carried on piloting as if he weren't even there observing her. The Mandalorian covert had made a settlement within their lands and had elected to stay within a close-knit range. A display of unity. Mandalorian's, after all, were stronger together.

Initiating the landing sequence, Bo finally released the breath that had been caught in her throat. It was only a matter of time before two very different Mandalorian cultures were expected to stand together to reclaim their home world. "I hope these two groups get along. They've never met, and what little they know of each other, they hate."

"They will if they wanna survive." Din said, knowing that they rung true.

From the window, Elodie could see Paz Vizsla gesture for Ragnar to go inside. The child nodded and gathered the children too. He must have told them to retreat in case of retaliation from the privateers.

Paz stood at the front of the covert, taking his role as enforcer very seriously in the face of danger. And that's what the privateers were. They threatened the very sanctity of their creed. When the two groups stood metres apart, the tension was so thick that it was almost palpable.

It intensified when the Mandalorian mercenaries removed their helmets, tucking them under their arms. Bristling, Paz brought his hands to rest on the front of his belt- close to his blaster.

The action didn't go unnoticed, and the Wolven subtly placed herself in front of the Mandalorian so she would be able to intervene if necessary. This union was essential if they were to retake Mandalore. Neither group was expected to get along without a hitch, but she hoped that the truce could last a little longer than ten minutes.

There was a stark difference between the two Mandalorian groups. The privateers were by far more polished and maintained with the money they earned, while the Coverts' were chipped and rough from survival and hard labour.

The staredown was interrupted by the clanging of the armourer's hammer and tongs.

The owlish alor strolled out of the shelter of her makeshift home and towards the groups. Her golden-horned helmet and fur shoal were unlike any other among either covert, which demanded order and respect. "Welcome, fellow Mandalorians. We invite you to make camp. Let us prepare a feast for our guests."

The armourer nodded to Bo-Katan, intending to maintain the peace for as long as she was able to. Both Bo and Elodie noticed another raging stare-down between Paz and Axe. Bo smacked the latter on the shoulder, snapping him out of his sneering gaze. Elodie knocked on Paz's helmet, which caused him to flinch back and catch her wrist.

"Copaani mirshmure'cye?" She yanked it out of his grip, not even mildly insulted. [Are you looking for a smack in the face?]

"Yeah, well, keep staring at Axe like that, and I think I'll book you guys a room together in the city." She could feel the weight of his hefty glare through the helmet. "Don't look at me like that. I'm just trying to keep the peace for as long as possible. Bo-Katan's riddled with anxiety as it is."