Then and Now

Then

"I'm sorry. I'm tired. I didn't sleep well last night." Alice said in apology. I smiled sadly at her, knowing why she didn't sleep. "Did you have bad dreams again?" Mother asked in concern. I grinned, "I wouldn't call them bad as long as that White Queen you told me about confessed her love for me." I sighed in longing, "She sounds beautiful and I can't wait for her to sweep me off my feet, " I stated, acting like a girl in love. Mother rolled her eyes and grinned at me, only to swat me multiple times in the arm, "Hush you." I pouted at her.

"Only one mum, It's always the same, ever since I could remember. Do you think that's normal? Don't most people have different dreams?" Alice asked in confusion. Mother shook her head softly, "I don't know." Mother took off her necklace and put it on Alice. I smiled softly, she looked like mother, while I looked like father. Then Margaret looks like a mix of both of our parents. 

"There. You're beautiful. Now, can you manage a smile?" Mother asked, and Alice smiled softly only for it to drop again. I grinned, "I'm almost glad you don't have different dreams, I get the full immersion of my future bride." Alice giggled, "You only ask about her, nothing else." Mother smiled at the both of us, "Adrian, she doesn't exist and I'm sure you can't find someone like her." I pouted and fake cried, "B-but mummy I love her and I want her!" Mother and Alice started laughing. I smiled, glad I could put a smile on both of their faces. "You're mad," Alice told me. I grinned, "All the best people are."  

Now

"Maddison and Mason! Slow down! Don't make me tell your father!" I could hear Mirana yell from the garden. I chuckle, times haven't changed. They're so energetic. "Daddy! Papa!" I hear as two little bodies slam into me when I make my way in sight of everyone, "Oof!" I fall to the ground, laughing as Maddison and Mason giggle. Time moves a little differently here so Maddison and Mason are five years old, even if Alice has been gone for three years of her time. 

"When is Aunt Alice coming here to save Uncle Tarrant?" Mason asks as Maddison nods in agreement. I kiss their foreheads, "Soon, my loves. Soon." The twins run off with Chesh and I look at Mirana in worry.

Where are you Alice?